The putter is the most critical golf club in your bag. Without a putter that you feel confident with, you will continually shoot high scores. In this guide, we go over the best putters today that you need to try out.
We have a putter for all kinds of golfers and preferences, including:
- Golfers who want to customize their putters
- Blade putters
- Mallet putter
- The putter that Tiger Woods has used for 25 years
- Putters for beginners
- Cheap butters
- The most popular putter of all time.
Putters can save us from a bad hole, and they can also turn a good hole into a nightmare. When you choose a putter for your golf game, you have to think about how often you use it and the importance of this club to your overall game.
Here are some of the best putters on the market and some really helpful information to choose the best one for your game.
Our Best Putters in 2022
- Scotty Cameron Phantom X (Best Overall Putter)
- TaylorMade Spider GT (Most Customizable Putter)
- Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K (Best Blade Putter)
- TaylorMade Spider X (Best Previous Generation TaylorMade Putter)
- Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport (Tiger Wood’s Putter)
- Odyssey Eleven (Best Mallet Putter)
- Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 (Best Putter for Beginners)
- Odyssey White Hot OG (Most Popular Putter)
- Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback (Best Center Shafted Putter)
- Ping Sigma 2 Valor (Best Counterbalanced Putter)
- Odyssey O Works Jailbird Mini (Best Cheap Putter)
Scotty Cameron Phantom X
- Top of the line technology
- Multiple shaft configurations for every kind of golfer
- Slid steel milling process
The 2022 Scotty Cameron Phantom X is the newest and next evolution of the Phantom X mallet-head putter. This line of putters from Titleist has seen great success on the PGA Tour so far. There are ten new models of the Phantom X to try out and decide which one you like the most.
The new lineup of mallet putters features brand new head shapes as well as a few updates to the most popular Phantom X models out currently. There is black sight lines on each putter, allowing you to line up each shot correctly with your golf ball.
With many models and new options to choose from, there is sure to be a certain head shape and weight for everyone out there to try. Below we will go over each of the 7 models available to purchase.
- Contains multiple components with precision milling
- Preferred alignment on the tour
- Solid Face Technology
- Exclusively designed grip
- Multiple Rod Curvature Options
TaylorMade Spider GT
Best Customizeable Putter
- 145 gram aluminum top plate
- Pure Roll 2 face insert for consistent and clean hits
- Steel weights on the side
- Full customization capabilities
If you want to customize your putter to match your personality, the TaylorMade Spider GT is the hands down winner for you. You can customize the color of the putter and its accents exactly to your liking.
The TaylorMade Spider GT putter is packed with technology to help make you a better golfer on the green. The Spider GT is easily recognizable for its looks and the amount of success seen with them on tour.
The TaylorMade Spider GT putter includes a new 145g aluminum top plate on top of the putter. Also included on the new Spider GT putter is a Pure Roll 2 face insert. The Pure Roll 2 is a firmer insert than TaylorMade uses typically. It is made of black TPU urethane with silver aluminum beams at a 45-degree angle.
The reason for the angle of the face insert is to promote more topspin on your putts which will help keep the ball straight and on line. Although the insert is made of firmer material, the ball still has a very soft feel off the face of the putter.
- Top Plate With Short Sightline - Made from lightweight 6061 Aluminum, the 145g top plate eliminates excess weight in the middle of the putter and features a short sightline for alignment.
- Steel Side Weight Construction - Steel side weights (80g per weight for a total of 160g) create a heavy frame for stability and distance control. Only 18% of the weight is centered in the middle to stabilize deflection on off-center strikes for maximum forgiveness.
- Pure Roll² Insert - The new firmer co-molded insert, manufactured of black TPU urethane with silver aluminum beams at a 45° angle designed to improve topspin across the face.
- Fluted Feel - A newly engineered stability putter shaft with a softer section located 5” from the tip, intently designed to enhance feel, increase stability and improve dispersion.
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K
Best Blade Putter
- High quality blade putter
- Tungsten weighting for optimal contact
- Interchangeable front weighting
- Classic white hot insert
The company used new materials in ways unique to putters and moved the center of gravity forward, blending 6061 aircraft grade aluminum, tungsten, and steel. The result is a blade shape putter with over 5,000 IZZ in moment-of-inertia rating (hence the 5K part of the name). The blended materials offer consistency alongside improved spin and speed control.
The front section, made of milled 303 stainless steel, helps to keep putts on their intended line regardless of the strike. This also works to keep the CG forward. There are over 120 grams of tungsten in the heel and toe sections to increase moment of inertia.
- Improves performance by reducing side spin on off-center hits, with a 303 stainless steel front section including the hoseland face. This is finish milled to the exact shape and weight, keeping the CG forward so putts stay closer to their line.
- Odyssey precisely positioned massive amounts of tungsten (>120 grams) behind the face in the toe and heel of the clubhead. They’ve moved CG forward for improved roll, while also increasing forgiveness in a standard size blade.
- Available in aluminum, steel and tungsten, these removable weights allow you to dial in your head weight to your exact preference.
- The most popular insert of all time is back with the original formulation, feel, sound, and performance.
- The newest generation of their proven multi-material Stroke Lab shaft features even better performance, shortening the steel section, and reducing weight by seven grams. It’s stiffer and more stable for improved consistency.
TaylorMade Spider X
Best Previous Generation TaylorMade Putter
- Premium feel and adjustability
- Heavy head
- Very stable
- Reduced twisting
- Easy alignment
- The club head is a bit large and takes a bit to get used to
The TaylorMade Spider X is one of the best putters that both amateurs and professionals have access to. The Spider X putter has been used to win PGA Tour events, and that should be enough proof that this is a top of the line golf putter. The Spider technology has everything to do with stability and feel.
The Spider is an X Shape design that makes it, so the club stays completely stable at impact. The stability helps increase consistency and feel as well. The Spider X also has adjustability that helps to set it apart from the crowd. With three adjustable weights, you can quickly set this to work for you.
Now that TaylorMade has released the Spider GT, the Spider X is considered previous generation. Even still, it is one of the best putters of all time. Plus, the improvements in the Spider GT are not life changing. If you can take advantage of a good sale on this previous generation putter, you are in luck!
- The X Philosophy: Spider X revolutionizes the way we achieve optimal stability and alignment by reengineering the mass properties of the head and introducing a new optically engineered True Path Alignment System
- Increased Stability: Spider X features a redesigned head with a steel frame that is 30% heavier to minimize twisting
- The X Design: New True Path Alignment System helps visualize the intended target line for improved putting accuracy; Spider X improves mass properties and stability by utilizing a heavy 320g frame with extreme perimeter weighting
- Redesigned Weight Ports: Redesigned weight ports (2g, 6g, or 12g) enable personalization of feel and stability
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport
Tiger Wood’s Putter
- Full shaft offset
- Better top down look
- Classic Scotty Cameron feel
- Performance balanced weighting
- Scotty Cameron putters are always priced high
Scotty Cameron has sat at the top of the list of best blade putters for many years. The classic Newport style is very well recognized and allows players a tremendous feel. This is a compact blade design that has a thinner topline than previous models.
One of the things Titleist worked on with this Scotty Cameron was making sure the putter looked better from the top down. This is one of the better looking blades and helps players get quite a bit of confidence in their shots. Made from a single piece of 303 Stainless, this soft milled design will make the putting green your new favorite place to be.
- High quality mallet puttter
- High forgiveness
- Very forward center of gravity
- Clean look and easy alignment
The more the number on an Odyssey putter, the better and more forgiving the putter becomes. The Odyssey Eleven has a stable MOI with alignment lines and a good choice of hosels for consistency on off center strikes.
As with other mallet putters, this one comes with a unique head shape that’s designed to offer improved performance. Its center of gravity is positioned forward for more consistency and tighter dispersion.
The Odyssey Eleven is a square-shaped mallet putter with a polymer in the center. Aluminum and steel are positioned behind the head towards the forward portion of the club. The weight distribution moves the center of gravity forward to enable the putter to close more consistently on your target line. It offers less dispersion and better control while retaining moment of inertia benefits.
- The Eleven shape advances the forgiveness and alignment properties of our major winning Ten model. It’s designed to help you properly frame the ball with the right alignment at address, along with high MOI for better accuracy.
- The newest generation of Odysseys proven multi-material Stroke Lab shaft features even better performance. By shortening the steel section, they reduced the weight by seven grams. It’s also stiffer and more stable for even more consistency in your stroke.
- Using a multi-material design, Odyssey moved the CG forward nearly ¼ of an inch over other leading mallets while increasing inertia. This creates improved performance, speed control, spin control, and a much tighter downrange dispersion.
- The super lightweight TPU sole insert helps us improve the sound and feel, while adding very little weight to the center of the putter head.
- White Hot is the most popular putter insertof all time. Now it’s back with the original formulation, feel, sound, and performance.
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5
Best Putter for Beginners
- Precision milled face
- Softer feel
- Speed optimized putter
- Many Cleveland HB models, can be hard to choose which one is best
Most golf professionals will agree that the mallet style putter head is a better choice for beginners. Mallet putter heads allow players to line up easier and control what their putter is doing. Sometimes blades are too lightweight and not stable enough for a new player. The Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 is an excellent choice for the beginner golfer that is looking for incredible ball speed and forgiveness in a putter. The Speed Optimized Face Technology makes sure that players get a very crisp and consistent feel from their putts.
Since this putter is made with a soft 304 stainless steel, golfers are start to learn about how to increase their feel around the green. For a putter with a fair price and lots of performance, the Cleveland HB series is a perfect choice for beginners.
- SPEED OPTIMIZED FACE TECHNOLOGY - Ensuring consistent speed control and distance performance, Cleveland’s proprietary Speed Optimized Face Technology normalizes ball speed across the entire face of the putter, even on off-center putts.
- PRECISION MILLED FACE - A unique diamond CNC milling pattern increases friction for a pure roll and softer feel at impact.
- SOFTER FEEL - The soft 304 Stainless Steel ensures soft yet crisp feel, providing just the right balance of softness and feedback.
- Sport type: Golf
- Stroke Type: Straight
Odyssey White Hot OG
Most Popular Putter
- Classic white hot insert
- 26 different shapes and styles
- Familiar shape and feel
Out of every putter on this list, the Odyssey White Hot OG is the one that should feel the most familiar to people. It is the best selling putting of all time, used by regular golfers all around the world.
The White Hot OG is a double bend face-balanced mallet putter that’s suitable for strokes with face rotation and minimal arc. It features the White Hot insert, an iconic head shape, and is available in both Stroke Lab shaft and stepless steel.
Overall, the White Hot OG is synonymous with top-notch performance that golfers at all levels love.
Each of the model come with a new midsize pistol grip. Speaking of which, there are 26 different models to explore. The price is also very reasonable compared to a Scotty Cameron or TaylorMade option.
- Odyssey White Hot OG Putters feature the original White Hot formulation, feel, sound and performance in one exceptional two-part urethane insert.
- This classic name is synonymous with legendary performance and the unique design properties that Tour players and golfers love.
- Odyssey engineers have combined a rich silver PVD finish with fine milling on the surfaces.
- Available in a premium stepless steel shaft or our Tour proven, multi-material Stroke Lab shaft in a new candy apple red.
- Both of these stock options are precisely fitted with a gray DFX Rubber Grip for a classic look and feel.
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback
- High performing putters
- Mix between blade and mallet
- Great feeling putter
- Very stable at impact
- It can be hard to find Bettinardi putters to test out, not as well known
The Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback is the best center shafted putter on the market. Bettinardi putters are known for high end feel. The exciting thing about this Slotback is that it is a mix between a blade and a mini mallet. The combination of the two helps this putter appeal to a wide range of players.
This putter is made with a 303 Stainless Steel, and it is milled from one solid piece. The way Bettinardi makes their golf equipment, you can almost guarantee that you will benefit from the feel and the precision. Their manufacturing standards are extremely high.
Center shafted putters allow for lots of control and stability, even when your golf ball misses the center of the face. Some players also find that it is easier to line up their shots with a putter that has a center shaft. Certainly, the Bettinardi is a design that will promote you making many more putts.
Odyssey O Works Jailbird Mini
Best Cheap Putter
You probably noticed that Odyssey putters have already made an appearance on our list of the best putters in golf. Every year or two, Odyssey comes out with a new style putter with improved technology. The O Works line of putters is a few years old; however, there are still plenty of them left on the market.
We are very impressed with the technology of the Odyssey O Works Jailbird Mini. This is an all black design putter that has a unique look to it. The Microhinge technology is used to help improve roll, gain topspin and give players better roll.
This is a mallet type design that is perfect for a golfer that has a more rounded putting stroke. The design allows the face of the putter to open slightly and get to a square position at impact. If you are a straight back straight through type golfer, the blade style putter is likely a better fit.
Best Putter Brands
Now that you know the best putters on the market let’s break down these different putter brands. If you disagreed with one of our best putters on the market options, you might have luck looking a bit further into the brand itself.
The way most of these companies handle their putter production is by putting out a line of putters with similar technology but different putter head designs.
The Scotty Cameron brand is really Titleist. If you know anything about golf equipment, you know that Titleist will release nothing less than a premium product.
The Scotty Cameron putters are perhaps most well known for the blade style design. However, in recent years there are larger and larger mallet style putter head choices coming to market. Scotty Cameron putters genuinely lead the way when it comes to sound and feel.
The Phantom X lineup has a lot of buzz. The classic Newport style that Tiger Woods has used for over 25 years is another.
Odyssey is the leading name in golf putters. The Odyssey putters are so popular because they will help those with any type of putting stroke. If you are new to the game or have been playing your entire life, there is an Odyssey on the market for you.
Odyssey putters are designed to make your putt the most confident shot in your golf bag. The classic White Hot OG is very recognizable and comes in over 26 different styles.
TaylorMade makes the Spider (GT and X) that has won our overall best putter in the past. TaylorMade cares very much about ball speed, MOI, and consistency when they produce a putter.
Overall the TaylorMade putters will get your ball rolling on a clean and stable line while you experience great sound and feel.
Bettinardi is a smaller putter manufacturer that cares very much about precision in their putters. If you need something that puts feel above all else, the Bettinardi is a perfect choice. These putters are no always known for being the most forgiving, however they are usually very consistent and high performing. You may pay a bit more for a Bettinardi, but chances are you will own it for a very long time.
Each golf manufacturer has its specialty, and there is no question that Cleveland specializes in the short game. If you need help in your golf game from 100 yards and in, Cleveland is a company that can absolutely help.
Our favorite thing about the Cleveland putters is that you get tremendous sound and feel for a very fair price.
Wilson golf putters are often overlooked. However, there are some affordable and quality designs from Wilson. Think of this as a bit of a knock off brand. They will have options that resemble the top options from other companies.
Wilson putters’ pricing tends to be about half of the premium brand name options on the market. These putters
Mizuno is getting more and more involved in a golfer’s short game. The putter and wedge options that Mizuno are putting on the market are sure to appeal to the lower handicap player looking for maximum performance and feel. We like the Mizuno putters for their look and design. They certainly have a unique style, especially the blue ion finish that is placed on some of the top performing models.
Although the line of Mizuno putters is not all that wide, there are a few that are worth considering if you are in the market.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Makes A Golf Putter Forgiving?
Some putters are advertised as being great for feel, others for speed, and some for forgiveness. A forgiving golf putter typically has a large putter face and a very stable putter head. When you miss the center of a putter face, the ball will get offline. Even the slightest miss can end up causing the ball to roll improperly and make you miss your putt.
When you want a forgiving putter, look for something that is a mallet style putter with lots of room for forgiveness. The face will generally have a softer feel, and even if you miss it, you will still get a slightly better MOI.
Another thing that we like to consider when it comes to forgiveness are the alignment lines. A more forgiving putter makes it much easier for a player to line up their putts.
Is A Blade Or A Mallet Putter Better?
The ultimate debate when it comes to the best putters is whether or not a blade or a mallet is a better choice. Although this decision will come down to personal preference, some stroke types work better for the blade than the mallet.
If you are a golfer that has a straight back and straight through putting stroke, you are going to want to stick with the blade style putter. For those that take more of an arc type stroke, the mallet is the best choice.
It is much easier to swing the mallet putter head on a semi circle type axis than it is on the straight back straight through. If, however you love something like the Spider X and you are a straight back straight through putter, you won’t be doing yourself any disadvantage. Most importantly, you need to find a putter that matches your stroke but your preferences as well.
What Length Should A Golf Putter Be?
A typical golf putter will vary in length from 33 to 35 inches. The average length of a putter on the PGA tour is right around 34 inches. Most amateur golfers are playing with a putter that is too long for them. When a putter is too long, it makes it difficult to get into the right position with your eyes over the ball.
The best way to find out what length putter you need is to go for a putter fitting. You can go for a putter fitting much like you go for a golf club fitting. They will adjust the lie angle and length of your putter to get it to the right setting for you. Many golfers don’t take putter fitting seriously enough.
Testing Criteria Used for Evaluation
When you are looking to purchase the best putter for your game, there are lots of factors to consider. Here are a few of the most important factors to remember when you are choosing a putter.
Milled Face or Insert
A milled face putter is one that is made of one piece of steel. An insert putter is one that has a specially designed insert into the face of the club. The insert usually provides a softer feel and a bit more precision. The problem some golfers have with the insert is that they feel there is a bit of vibration at impact.
A milled face putter used to be more expensive than that of the insert putter; however, inserts have come a long way, and they are now quite a high performing. The choice between milled face or insert will come down to both looks and feel.
Mallet or Blade
As we mentioned, the mallet putters are typically easier to align and will make distance control for golfers much easier as well. The mallet putter is typically a bit heavier and not as great of a choice if you play on very fast greens.
For golfers that have a more simple stroke and play on faster greens, the blade style putters are going to be the better choice.
Most putters will come at standard lengths anywhere from 33 to 35 inches. The 33 inch putter is typically for a shorter golfer that has a hard time getting their eyes completely over the golf ball. The 35-inch putter will be for taller players.
The length of a putter should be one that allows players to feel comfortable and get their eyes over the ball. Alignment and control of speed are much easier when your eyes are over the golf ball.
Alignment lines on putters allow you to address the ball and line up your putts to your intended target. The longer the alignment line, the easier it is to see where you need to send your golf ball. If you think that aiming is something that decreases your effectiveness as a putter, you need to consider a putter with longer alignment lines.
What Putters are the PGA Tour Pros Using?
A putter is one club that you can buy based on what PGA tour pros are using. Here’s a quick summary of what some of the top golfers in the world are using today:
Scottie Scheffler is using the Scotty Cameron Special Select Timeless Tour putter. It is very similar to the iconic Newport that Tiger Woods uses.
Brooks Koepka also uses Scotty Cameron, opting for the Teryllium Tour Newport version.
Bryson Dechambeau is using the Sik Pro C-Series Armlock, a lesser-known putter brand that caters to scratch golfers who want a custom fit and feel.
Jon Rahm uses the Odyssey White Hot OG Rossie S, a classic putter which is on our list of best putters above.
Hopefully, you now have a better idea of the best golf putters on the market. Both blade putters and mallet putters on this list will work for a wide range of handicaps. Remember that sometimes you will have to test out a few putters before finding the perfect one for your golf game.
The more time you spend around the game, the more you will realize the importance of a high-quality golf putter. If you recently bought something new, comment down below and let others know which putter you went with.
Last update on 2022-06-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API