You can practice more golf from the comfort of your home with a quality putting green. In this guide, we go over the best indoor putting greens that you can buy today. With these, you can polish up your putting stroke without leaving your house.
Specifically, we’ll go over:
- The best indoor putting greens available today
- Key features in our top greens
- Multiple ways to buy each green today
We have budget options and also greens with a lot of extra features, so that you can decide for yourself what you need.
The Best Indoor Putting Greens Today
- Boburn Putting Green (Best Overall)“The Boburn Golf Putting will give you lots of room to practice, different angle sand targets to use, and it holds up well both indoors and outdoors.”
- SKLZ Accelerator Pro (Best Indoor Putting Green with Automatic Ball Return)
- Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par 3 (Best on a Budget)“The Putt-A-Bout offers plenty of space to putt without costing you very much money, the smooth feel will keep you rolling putts down on the golf course.”
- Golf Gifts & Gallery Putting Mat (Upgrade Pick)“The Golf Gifts and Gallery Putting Mat allows you ample room to walk around and putt in the comfort of your own home. The two holes opposing each other allow for a great variety in putts.”
- Pinstripe Golf Indoor Mat (Best for Small Space)
- PuttOut Pro Mat (Best for Training)
Best Indoor Putting Greens
HOW TO BUY
- Large 10 foot by 5-foot surface
- Real feel green
- Three holes to putt to
- PET resin
- Fringe with putting surface
- Heavy-duty base so green does not move around
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Priced a little high
At the top of our list is the Boburn Golf Putting Green. This is the indoor green with the best feel, the most room to move around, and still offered at a great price. The surface has true-roll technology and runs to about a ten on the stimpmeter. The Boburn Golf Putting Green has a thick and sturdy base. Many cheaply made golf putting greens will scrunch up or move while you are standing on it. The Boburn is not like that; it stays in place and remains sturdy while you are standing, walking, and putting.
Another great feature that the Boburn has is the three holes. You will not get bored using this green as there are three different holes that you can practice on. If you want to change the angle or direction of the putt, you can easily do so.
We also love that the border of this putting green has a thicker grass. The thicker grass allows you to practice those fringe to green putts that we could all use a little extra work on. Even though this is our guide for the best indoor putting greens, we love the versatility you have with the Boburn and the ability to take it outside when needed.
- ⁂ Real feel – With one of this golf putting green you will have the actual feel that you are in a golf course. True-roll surface simulates real green conditions with a similar stamp reading about 10.
- ☀Heavy duty –This golf putting mat is made of the highest quality material that you can find anywhere. It has a soft high-elastic base that helps it to adhere on any surface that you place it on indoors.
- ☁ Golf like holes – The three golf holes on the putting green look like the ones you get on a golf course. They have a stainless steel flag post and the cup as well. This produces a certain sound whenever you put a ball in it.
- ☂ Perfect for indoors and outdoors–The golf putting mat is a perfect fit for both indoors and outdoors. You can enjoy your game of golf outside on your backyard or patio, or you may decide to stay indoors in your house or enjoy the game while at work.
- ★Gift for friends – If you have friends that enjoy a game of golf, then this is the gift you should think of getting them. Even if they do not play golf, soon enough they will be addicted to the game due to the thrill of playing it.
SKLZ Accelerator Pro
Best Putting Green with Automatic Ball Return
HOW TO BUY
- Squaring and alignment guides help you work on putting consistency
- Automatic ball return
- True roll and accurate surface
- Perfect size for home and office
- Upslope at the cup
If having an automatic ball return is key for you, then the SKLZ Accelerator Pro is the right indoor putting green for your home or office. This green features a single hole design with an upslope near the cup. Underneath the surface here is an automatic ball return that spits your ball back down to you so that you can hit again.
I thought that the surface on the Accelerator Pro was very smooth and accurate. The green doesn’t match the traditional “golf green” color, but it performs well. The green is also narrow enough that it works in almost any home.
The golf hole on the Accelerator Pro is slightly larger than a standard golf hole, so be aware of that. The upslope does increase the difficulty though, so things work out okay.
- 9-foot indoor putting green with continuous automatic ball return for developing accuracy and control
- Squaring and alignment guides at 3, 5, and 7 feet help promote consistency in every aspect of putting motion
- Continuous automatic ball return allows for uninterrupted training
- True-roll surface and upslope at the cup emulate putts found on actual greens
- Measures 9 feet x 16.25 inches; great for use at home or office
Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par 3
Best Indoor Putting Green on a Budget
HOW TO BUY
- True roll feel
- Smooth putting surface
- Easy to roll up and put away
- Three holes to putt to
- Tends to get a little wrinkled, but it will straighten out
If you like the functionality and the design of the Boburn, but it is out of your price range, then it may be worth looking at the Putt-A-Bout. This is a nine-foot by three food design that resembles a kidney shape. You will most likely not be walking on this one the same way you do the Boburn, but you can still roll down putts anywhere from one to eight feet.
The Putt-A-Bout features three holes to shoot at, and behind those holes are some fake sand traps that will help catch any missed shots. In other words, you won’t be chasing golf balls around your living room as you practice.
The putting surface itself is quite smooth, and it rolls well. When folded for extended periods (or when it ships), you may notice that it gets a bit wrinkled, but it does spread out quickly. The backing of the Putt-A-Bout features a non-skid material, so the putting green stays in place as you practice. Overall this is one of the best putting practice devices you are going to find for the money. Most other choices with these features are going to be three to four times this price.
- Manufactured from PET resin
- Manufactured in the USA
- Kidney shaped practice putting green
- High quality putting surface stays smooth
- Built in sand trap cutouts catch missed shots
Golf Gifts & Gallery Putting Mat
HOW TO BUY
- Great feel and roll
- Two holes opposing each other
- Great stability and durability
- Can use it indoors or out
- Price is a little high
Since we talked about a value option, we really need to look at the premium. The good news is that this premium Golf Gifts and Gallery Putting Mat is priced very closely to the Boburn. The Golf Gifts and Gallery Putting Mat is a four foot by ten-foot design that features two holes. We love that the two holes are on opposing sides of the putting green. You can make a few putts, walk to the other side, and shoot from that side. Who needs a ball return with this setup!
Again the fringe around the outside of the putting green itself allows you to practice some different type shots. Having some versatility in your putting game is only going to help you lower your scores.
With a high quality indoor putting green like this one, you are not going to have to worry about the green or mat sliding at all while you are standing on it. This has a stable base that will stay in place while you are practicing. If you are really ready to take your putting game to the next level, this is an indoor putting mat that you want to have.
Pinstripe Golf Indoor Mat
Best for Small Space
HOW TO BUY
- Great for small spaces
- Rolls up small
- Has training guides to help you with putting
- One of the best putting mats for the money as well
- Has quite a few markings may not appeal to the golfer who likes a simple design
As much as we would all love to have an entire room to dedicate to our golf practice, it is not a reality for all people. Luckily some companies make solutions for smaller-scale places. The Pinstripe Golf Putting Mat is one of the best indoor putting mats on the market for both training and feel. The Pinstripe has a heavy rubber backing that helps it to lay down flat and smooth. You can place this putting mat on a carpet or on a wood or tile floor and still be able to use it with ease.
This putting mat has a very true role, and the speed is about a ten on the stimpmeter.
One of the things we love about the Pinstripe is the alignment guides, target points, and distance markings that you will notice across the entire mat. You are even provided with five different training drills when you purchase this high quality putting mat. If you lack confidence in your putting game and want an at-home solution to lower your scores, the Pinstripe is a great choice. You can pair this indoor golf putting mat with a variety of different cups and a ball return if needed.
- UPGRADE YOUR PRACTICE and take the guesswork out of putting. Unlike other golf putting matt for indoors, ours is a complete practice station that combines swing training and start line feedback to dial in your putt game. This means you get higher quality reps with every session.
- SWING PATH TRAINING is a game changer. That's why elite putters use swing templates (like ours) to keep their swings on track and groove their putt game. Try comparing your stroke to the ideal path on the Swing Path Trainer and get hooked on making perfect putting swings.
- MASTER START LINE for pinstripe accuracy. Starting putts on line is mission critical and core to Pinstripe Golf training. We put a pinstripe down the center so you can track where your putts are going off line. Start dialing in your aim and swing and watch your accuracy improve.
- SMOOTH ROLL, FRESH DESIGN. We think our putting mat looks so good you'll never want to put it away. But if you need to, simply roll it up and slide it in the bag. Next time you want to roll a few putts, your putting mat will roll out smooth and ready for your next session.
- 100% HAPPINESS GUARANTEE. You're a rockstar, and we want you to know that; Our mission is to help you play better golf. But if you find the secret to putting along the way, thats cool too. Order this putting mat confidently, knowing that it's backed by our 30 Day Return Policy.
PuttOut Pro Mat
Best for Training
HOW TO BUY
- Great for helping with alignment
- High-quality rubber helps it stay in place
- Smooth putting surface
- Lots of markings and lines for training
- Does not come with a putting cup
Some people choose an indoor putting green so that they can keep a club in their hands and putt around after a day at work. Others are very serious about the amount of time they spend working on their game and how it will affect their putting results the next time they play a golf course. If you are a trainer or a practicer that wants all the drills and the feedback, you will love the PuttOut Pro Golf Mat. The Putt Out Pro is available in three colors if you do not mind if your indoor putting mat looks like a real green.
This indoor putting mat is also going to roll to a ten on the stimpmeter. This seems to be a popular speed for these greens, and because it is also quite common on a golf course, these golf mats will help you prepare your game for the course.
We love that Putt Out gives you marks each foot, and you can combine it with any flat putting cup that you like. If you are the type of golfer that wants to hit twelve four-footers before you go to bed at night, this is one of the best putting choices for you.
- For any golfer a home putting set-up is an essential training tool, and the PuttOut Putting Mat makes practice enjoyable, effective and easy to fit into your day wherever you are.
- Constructed with a durable, heavy-rubber backing to allow the mat to lie smooth and flat on any surface, easily roll the mat away and into the compact carry bag for practice on the go.
- The high quality cut-pile surface is designed to accurately replicate a medium-to-fast green, with a stim meter reading of 10.
- Printed alignment guides, target points and distance markings which allow you to practice with just a putter and a ball.
- The putting mat is compatible with any flat putting cup, but for best results use with the revolutionary PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer for the ultimate putting practice set-up.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Is The Difference Between Putting Green and A Putting Mat?
The main difference between a putting green and a putting mat is the size. Most of the time a mat is a rectangular shape with a narrow putting surface. A putting green is much larger, and a player can stand and walk around on a putting green. There are positives and negatives to both types of putting practice devices.
With the putting green, it is nice to be standing on the same level as the ball. The putting mat is great for small spaces because it can roll up and be put out of the way. Choosing between putting green and a putting mat is going to be more a matter of preference than anything else. No matter what having a place to practice, your putting stroke is going to be the most critical factor.
How Many Holes Should A Putting Green Have?
As you probably noticed from our reviews, the indoor putting mats come in several different styles. Some will have three or four holes for you to putt to, and others will just be one hole with a ball return feature. There is no perfect amount of holes for a putting mat or putting green to have.
The one thing to consider is making sure you choose a model with some variety in the types of putts you can take. Even if you can vary the distance or the angle of the putt, it will add additional feel and skill to your game.
Is A Flat Putting Mat Or A Sloped Putting Mat Better?
One of the best things about the sloped putting mat is that it helps players learn how to be more aggressive with their putts. The more you slow down and decelerate your putts as you come through impact, the less chance you have of making that putt.
When you continually practice putting the ball up a hill, it does help you gain some confidence to accelerate through impact. Some of the sloped putting mats also feature the ball return option, which appeals to some players.
Would A Hitting Mat Work To Practice Putting?
Do you already have a hitting mat that you use for some indoor practice? A hitting mat and a putting mat may look the same, but they are a little different when it comes time to putting on them. The hitting mat usually is quite a bit higher than a putting mat and will roll much slower.
Although you can putt on the hitting mat to practice your stroke, you really won’t be doing yourself much good when it comes to getting out on the course and feeling the real speed of the greens.
How Much Room Do You Need For An Indoor Putting Green?
If you are short on space, you may be wondering if you even have room for an indoor golf putting solution. The good news is that with a thin roll-up putting green or mat, you don’t need very much width just some length. Most of the roll-up mats are about ten feet long but usually only about eighteen inches wide.
You should have a hallway or space somewhere in your home that you can roll out one of these greens and practice for a bit before putting it away. If you are short on space, look for an option that comes with a carrying case or bag. You can keep the putting mat in great shape stored in its own container for when you may need it next.
Testing Criteria Used for Evaluation
The size of your indoor putting setup will vary depending on if you go with a putting mat or a putting green. Traditionally putting greens are best if you want to walk around on the surface and make putts while standing on the green. A putting mat is usually more like a strip of turn that will allow you to make long and narrow putts.
Most of the time, with a putting mat, you will not be standing on the mat as you putt, and you will be standing on the side. Putting greens will have a bit more of a real feel to them as far as the setup, stance, and alignment. However, the roll of a putting green and a putting mat is going to be very similar, and both options will offer a very true roll.
Speed Of the Greens
Most of the indoor putting greens that we reviewed roll at about a ten on the stimpmeter. This is a very good speed for you to work on your putting stroke and one that you will often find on a course. It doesn’t make much sense to work on the indoor golf putting green when it doesn’t match the greens you play on your own course. Try and find a mat or a green that has a real feel, true roll, and if you end up hitting from the fringe often, you may like one of the options that feature some fringe to putt off.
Lines or No Lines
An indoor putting green will sometimes come in a solid green color, and other times it will have lines and markings all over it. The lines and markings are used to help you with alignment, setup, training drills, etc. Some people love the lines, and others want a clean green surface just the course.
There is really no right or wrong answer here when it comes to lines or no lines. If you are one of those who draws a line on their golf ball and wants it to roll on this line and stay in place the entire time, you will likely enjoy putting green with all of the alignment aids and markings. If you are one of those players who only want to see the golf ball’s white when you practice, then you should look at the indoor putting green that more closely resembles an actual putting green.
Putting greens for indoors can range from less than $50 to well over $300. There is a wide range of pricing, mostly because of the different sizes available. Generally speaking, the larger the indoor putting green, the more money you will end up spending. When it comes to quality, you want to make sure you choose an option with a stable non-slip base.
There is nothing worse than the putting green or mat rolling up with the ball as you put. Anytime you get wrinkles or lines on the surface, you are sacrificing the quality of your practice. If you have an option between a cheap large mat with a thin bottom or a middle priced smaller mat with a non-slip rubber bottom, go with the latter. Long term, you will be much happier with a putting green that stays in place while it is in use.
If you can’t keep your indoor putting green out at all times, then you want to make sure you choose a high-quality mat that can be rolled up. You will want to make sure that this is of high quality because if it is not, there will be wrinkles.
The cheaper indoor golf mats tend to have lots of wrinkles when you roll them up and then back out. These wrinkles will sometimes settle themselves out, but sometimes they do not. Putting across a surface that is not smooth will do nothing for your game. Some putting mats come with a storage bag as well. This is an excellent feature if you know you can’t leave the mat out at all times.
Cup Or No Cup
Some putting greens will come with built-in cups, and others will just be more of a mat that allows for the use of a flat cup. This is going to be a matter of preference. Most golfers would agree that the best indoor putting green is the one that works well for your golf game. It goes beyond the features and instead is something more about something that you feel comfortable using.
|Boburn Putting Green||Best Overall|
|Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par 3||Best on a Budget|
|Golf Gifts & Gallery Putting Mat||Upgrade Pick|
|Pinstripe Golf Indoor Mat||Best for Small Space|
|PuttOut Pro Mat||Best for Training|
Getting an indoor putting green for your home is a really nice addition if you are serious about lowering your golf scores. We all know how vital putting can be, and if you can somehow put a putter in your hands every day of the week, it will seriously impact your golf scores. There are lots of golf putting green options out there for you to choose from, and unfortunately, some of them are not the most excellent quality.
We truly believe that the best indoor putting green is the Boburn Golf Putting Green. The Boburn has everything a golfer would want as far as feel and space is concerned. You will be able to practice on this green just as you would practice at the course before or after a round of golf. The versatility of bringing this mat either indoors or out makes it stand out as the best option on the market
Last update on 2022-05-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API