Playing the right golf ball can have a tremendous impact on your golf game. In this guide, we take a look at the absolute best golf balls that you can hit today in order to improve your golf game, hit longer, hit straighter, and have more fun with.
Unfortunately, many players grab the cheapest ball on the shelf and ignore the performance that a golf ball can offer. There are lots of choices out there for golf balls, so it makes sense to understand the ball that will work best for your golf game.
Below, we also go over a few things to look for when choosing a great golf ball and some of the best golf balls on the market.
The Best Golf Balls in 2022
- Titleist Pro V1 (Overall Best Golf Ball)
- Callaway Warbird (Best Golf Balls for Beginners)
- Shag Practice Golf Balls (Best Cheap Golf Balls)
- Titleist Velocity (Longest Golf Balls)
- Vice Tour (Best Senior Golf Balls)
- Wilson SmartCore (Best Golf Balls For A Slice)
- TaylorMade Noodle (Best Golf Balls For High Handicappers)
- Callaway Supersoft (Best Golf Balls For Average Golfer)
- Titleist Pro V1x (Best Golf Balls for High Swing Speed)
- Callaway HX Practice Ball (Best Practice Golf Ball)
- Maxfli SoftFli Matte White (Best Golf Balls For Low Compression)
- Bridgestone e6 Lady (Best Golf Balls For Women)
- Callaway ERC Soft (Best Cold Weather Golf Ball)
- Bridgestone Tour B X (Best Golf Ball For Low Handicappers)
Best Golf Balls On The Market
Here are our choices for the best golf balls on the market across several different categories.
Titleist Pro V1
Best Overall Golf Ball
Although there is new technology coming out every year and companies upgrading their product, Titleist Pro V1 will always find itself at the top of the golf ball list. Plain and simple, it is the best overall golf ball available on the market right now. The Pro V1 in 2022 is completely redesigned from previous years. They offer even longer distance, more greenside spin as well as a softer feel.
The Titleist Pro V1 has a new softer cast urethane cover that increase greenside spin and utilizes Titleist’s Drop-and-Stop control. They also redesigned the outside with a new spherically-tiled 388 tetrahedral dimple design which provides amazingly consistent ball flight while in the air. The Pro V1 has and will be the top golf ball choice on the PGA Tour and it is hard to see any other company taking that spot anytime soon.
- Longer Distance With Consistent Flight
- Very Low Long Game Spin And Penetrating Trajectory
- Increased Drop-And-Stop Short Game Control
- Softer Feel
Best Golf Balls for Beginners
The Callaway Warbird is an excellent choice for the higher scoring player and beginner. Not only is this an affordable golf ball, but it also has quite a bit of distance capability. If you struggle to get the distance that you want out of your golf shots, the Warbird may be able to help.
Since the Callaway Warbird is not the latest release on the market, they are also priced considerably less as well. Low spin, hex aerodynamics, and excellent ball flight all help to make the Warbird some of the best golf balls for beginners.
- Callaway's renowned HEX Aerodynamics reduce drag and promote high launch for increased speed, hang-time and distance
- The extra-large high-energy core is highly compressible to unlock more potential distance at any swing speed
- Thin, high-sensory ionomer cover works with the core to promote super-satisfying feel off every club
- The package weight of the product is 9.1 pounds
Shag Practice Golf Balls Bag
Best Cheap Golf Balls
If you will be playing golf in your yard or headed out on the course just to practice, it makes no sense to purchase high end golf balls. Titleist ProV1 and Callaway Chrome Soft balls should be saved for the days when the scoring matters.
This bag of cheap golf balls will not be made up with premium choices, but it is certainly not something you will need to worry about in all situations. You will have plenty of ball speed, some decent launch, and lots of durability.
- GRADE AA primarily recycled for practice. Great for muddy conditions. No representation is made for coloration, scuffs or tint
- RECYCLED WASHED AND CLEANED without altering the manufacturers original specifications
- FAIR TO GOOD CONDITION practice grade shag golf balls. Not for use on the green.
- PLAY THE BEST BALLS for up to 80 percent off the new ball price. Mix of assorted brands, models and colors
- DRAWSTRING MESH BAG for storage
Longest Golf Balls
The Titleist Velocity golf balls are a great choice when you are looking for ball speed. The design of this ball is one that will help promote low drag and lots of distance. Titleist makes some of the best golf balls in golf, and this affordable but high performing choice has been an excellent improvement for them.
Titleist equipped the Velocity with a new core, and it instantly helped the ball speed go up. The Great news is that the soft feel is still in place. You won’t feel like you are hitting a rock around the course, just to get the distance.
Learn more in our Titleist Velocity Review
- Longer Distance
- Extremely Low Long Game Spin
- Greater Iron Stoppability
- High Flight On All Shots
Best Senior Golf Balls
Vice golf balls have not been on the market all that long, but they do a great job of offering both feel and the proper amount of spin. The Vice Tour has a low spin rate, are affordable golf balls, and they are certainly a premium type design.
The senior golfer needs to focus on both getting distance from the tee and to improve their short game. Even though senior golfers are usually losing distance in their game, there is no reason they can’t improve their short game. A senior golfer can have just as good a short game as a young golfer, and the Vice Tour can help make that a reality.
- 3-Piece Construction
- 392 Aerodynamic Dimple Design For More Stability
- Soft Energy Speed Core (Esc) For Extra Distance And Smooth Feel At Impact
- Outstanding Distance Off The Tee With Minimum Dispersion
Best Golf Balls to Fix A Slice
The Wilson Smart Core is a great golf ball choice for the golfer that struggles to keep the ball straight. If you happen to slice the golf ball quite often, the features of the Wilson SmartCore may help you to succeed.
The Wilson Smart Core is a very low spinning golf ball, and it has a low drag dimple pattern. The dimple pattern is designed to keep the ball flight straighter even when a poor swing gives the ball a bit of side spin. Overall the SmartCore is an excellent choice for quite a few swing speeds and golfers on a budget as well.
- Smart Core technology that reacts to a player's swing speed
- Yields spin and control on short shots
- Minimizes spin for distance and accuracy on long shots
- Durable lonomer cover provides long lasting playability through a range of condition
- Firm response off the tee for maximum distance and a soft response around the green for exceptional feel
Best Golf Balls For High Handicappers
The Noodle is a low compression golf ball that has been on the market for many years. The concept behind this ball is that it is both long and soft. The TaylorMade Noodle is a fairly priced, easy to hit a golf ball that makes a perfect choice for the high handicap golfer.
The cover on the Noodle is durable so that you will get several rounds with this ball in play. It is also soft enough that a high handicapper can start to develop some feel around the greens. You will have a hard time finding a better high handicapper’s golf ball than the TaylorMade Noodle.
- Durable and soft iothane cover
- Impact propulsion core for longer carry
- Great feel and increased spin around the greens
- Patented dimple design for straighter flight
Best Golf Balls For Average Golfer
The best golf balls for average golfers are the Callaway Supersoft. This is a very low compression golf ball available in several different colors. Golfers who play with the Supersoft are finding that they are having an easier time getting distance and straighter ball flight as well.
The Callaway Supersoft has a very soft feel around the greens and a durable Trigonometry formulation cover. Of course, with this being a Callaway golf ball, the Hex design dimple pattern is going to help the ball stay on a straighter path as well. This is one of the best golf balls in the game when it comes to distance, low compression core, and low driver spin.
- The Callaway Super soft is a long, straight distance ball that’s incredibly soft
- An ultra-low compression core promotes fast ball speed and increased accuracy
- New Low-Drag HEX Aerodynamics are optimized to reduce drag and enhance lift for longer carry and longer distance
- A new softer Trigonometry cover formulation has a low compression for enhanced feel and increased greenside control
Titleist Pro V1x
Best Golf Balls for High Swing Speed
If you are a player who generates a lot of club head speed, you will need to choose a higher compression core ball with lots of greenside performance. High swing speed players need low driver spin but lots of greenside spin. Playing with a golf ball that will allow you to use your speed around the green is essential.
The Pro V1x has a tremendous amount of distance on the majority of your shots, but around the greens, you are going to see the benefit of using this ball.
- Extraordinary distance with consistent flight
- Very low long game spin and penetrating trajectory
- Drop-and-stop short game control
- The Package Weight Of The Product Is 36 Pounds
Callaway HX Practice Ball
Best Practice Golf Ball
When you head out for some chipping and putting practice, it makes sense to use a golf ball that is going to feel and perform like a typical golf ball. That is why we love the Callaway HX practice ball. If you want the HEX aerodynamics in a cheap but durable golf practice ball, the HX practice is a great choice. Save your high end golf balls for the golf course!
- Foam Golf Practice Balls: Our durable, soft-flight foam golf balls are designed for safe everywhere use - can even be used as indoor golf balls
- HEX Dimples: Our golf practice balls feature patented HEX-pattern dimples, a patented feature found on all Callaway golf balls
- Soft Foam Construction: Our soft golf balls are designed to stimulate ball flight, while remaining soft enough to use safely anywhere - ideal practice golf balls for backyard or indoor use
- Included Carry Bag: An included mesh carry bag allows for easy storage and enhanced portability
- High-Visibility Colors: Our colored golf balls are available in a variety of high-visibility hues: lime, orange, pink, and multicolor
Maxfli SoftFli Matte White
Best Golf Balls For Low Compression
In years past, Maxfli was very well known for making some of the best golf ball choices for those that wanted a soft feel with lots of distance. The Maxfli SoftFli golf ball is one of the best choices for a golfer that lacks club head speed.
If you want to hit the ball further but still be able to feel what you are doing when you are chipping and putting, this Maxfli is an excellent choice. This is still a two-piece golf ball, so you won’t get all the spin of some other choices.
- Maxfli’s softest golf ball at 35 compression
- Ultra-low compression provides exceptionally soft feel on shots from tee to green
- Reformulated core provides soft feel, faster ball speed and low spin rate
- High surface coverage 332 dimple pattern produces consistent flight
- Soft Ionomer blend cover formulation enables excellent greenside spin for great control
Bridgestone e6 Lady
Best Golf Balls For Women
The majority of women golfers need a ball that is soft around the greens but mostly, something that offers a lot of distance. The Bridgestone e6 Lady is, without a doubt, a distance golf ball. This particular model comes in both a white and a pink color.
The e6 Lady is an excellent choice for the female golfer because it is a very low compression ball. Women are able to compress the ball and have it travel quite a bit further than other choices on the market. If you are unsure the e6 Lady is the golf ball for your game, check the Bridgestone ball fitting information to find the right fit for you.
- Engineered for Consistency
- Improved Aerodynamics for Added Distance
- Softer Feel, Long Distance
- Soft Golf Ball that also Provides Long Distance
- Available in a 12-ball pack
Callaway ERC Soft
Best Cold Weather Golf Ball
Another, newer product from the folks at Callaway are the ERC Soft golf balls. And as is the case, with a newer product comes newer features. So in order to start, the new “Dual Soft Fast Core” allows for fast ball speeds off of a player’s drive. Drives of this kind are hard to get with other low compression balls, making this an excellent winter choice.
Adding to this balls features are the increased spin and control of the ball off of iron shots. These combined features make the ERC Soft one of the most accurate cold weather balls available.
But with this comes a sacrifice in the area of price. The ERC Soft is some of the most expensive low compression golf balls on the market, and with good balls at a cheaper price, many may look the other way on these.
However, if you have the extra money to spend on golf balls, you won’t be disappointed with the ERC Soft. With unparalleled accuracy, and even coming in a unique, visible color scheme, Callaway makes sure to give you the most benefit for your hard earned cash.
- ERC Soft is our longest Callaway golf ball with soft feel
- The multi material hybrid cover creates an exceptional combination of faster ball speeds, incredibly soft feel, and noticeably higher spin for excellent control
- A grapheme infused Dual Soft Fast Core maximizes compression energy while minimizing driver spin and promoting high launch for long distance
- New Triple Track Technology helps to improve alignment compared to a regular side stamp alignment aid
Bridgestone Tour B X
Best Golf Ball for Low Handicappers
Bryson DeChambeau helped assist in the design and making of the Bridgestone Tour B X golf ball and after review, they are definitely on to something. Bridgestone advertises Reactiv IQ, which is a smart cover technology that reacts to the force of impact off the club face. It delivers increased ball speed for maximum distance off the tee, but also stays on the face longer on approach shots which will provide more control around the green.
The Bridgestone Tour B X is best for low handicappers with swing speeds over 105 MPH. You can be sure to have distance added off the tee with this golf ball.
- The NEW TOUR B with REACTIV iQ is THE SMARTER TOUR BALL
- Proprietary NEW REACTIV iQ is a SMART cover technology that reacts to the force of impact
- MORE DISTANCE: REACTIV iQ rebounds quickly on tee shots, delivering explosive velocity and increased distance
- MORE CONTROL: REACTIV iQ stays on the face longer on approach shots, providing more spin and soft feel around the green
- Dual Dimple technology provides efficient trajectory and reduced drag through enhanced aerodynamics
Best Golf Ball Brands
Now that you have an idea of some of the best golf balls on the market let’s look at the best golf ball brands on the market. Each brand typically makes several models. Some will claim to have the best golf ball for high handicappers; others will gear their efforts to mid and low handicappers. Let’s look at some of these golf brands and choose their best golf ball.
One of the things that set the Callaway golf ball apart is the dimple design. The dimples on a Callaway golf ball are a hexagonal pattern that is built to give players much less drag. Some people say that Callaway golf balls are some of the straighter flight balls on the market because of their dimple technology.
The best golf balls that Callaway has on the market are the Callaway Chrome Soft. The Chrome Soft has very fast ball speeds, low driver spin, and lots of distance. Around the green, you will notice that the Callaway Chrome Soft has a great feel. Callaway makes many great golf balls, but this Chrome soft works well for a large majority of golfers.
Learn more in our Callaway Chrome Soft Review
TaylorMade is known for ball speed. The faster something can fly, the greater the chance that TaylorMade is behind the technology. TaylorMade invests quite a bit of money in their ball flight technology and the performance a golf ball can get from the tee.
As we mentioned, the number of pieces in a golf ball is something that a golfer should be aware of when making their purchase. The TaylorMade TP5 is the best golf ball that TaylorMade has. They are very high performing and made up of five pieces. With a tri fast core and a dual spin cover, this is a golf ball that can do anything that you need it to.
Learn more in our TaylorMade TP5 Review
Titleist is and probably always will be the best golf ball manufacturer in the game. However, some of the balls that Titleist offers are going to be higher in price. You will see a lot of performance for the money you pay. IF you are a low or a higher handicapper, there is a Titleist model that will work for you.
The Titleist Pro V1 is the best golf ball that Titleist has. It is also one of the best golf balls that golf has ever seen. The Titleist Pro V1 is a three piece ball with low spin off the tee and greenside performance like no other. If you want a ball that helps to take your game to the next level, this is it.
Learn more in our Titleist Pro V1 Review
Vice golf balls are some of the newer options on the market, yet they make some very high performing choices. A few of the things we love about the Vice golf ball are the wedge spin, the low price point, and the color options.
The overall best golf ball by Vice is the Vice Pro. This ball is high launching, has lots of accuracy, and very low drag as it travels through the air. When you get close to the green, the Vice Pro offers plenty of wedge spin as well. This is a premium ball that can compete with something like the Pro V1.
Learn more in our Vice Golf Balls Review
Kirkland is not the most well-known ball manufacturer; however, if you can get your hands on some of these golf balls, you will like the performance. The Kirkland balls are known for durability and for their performance as well.
The best golf ball from Kirkland is the Kirkland Signature Three Piece construction. The cover on this ball is a urethane to help give it some better feel and spin. Most of the time, these balls are sold in a 24 pack, and they are indeed built for value. We would recommend the Kirkland golf brand for the higher handicapper.
Learn more in our Kirkland Golf Balls Review
Bridgestone has brought the concept of ball fitting to the golf world. Without Bridgestone golf, players would not understand how important it is to play a golf ball that fits their game. It does not matter what your strengths or weaknesses are in golf; Bridgestone has a golf ball that will work for you.
Our favorite Bridgestone ball is the Bridgestone B RXS. The BRX-S is a three piece golf ball designed for the mid handicapper. If you get some good swing speed, can shoot a decent round from time to time, but could still use the help of a great golf ball, the BRX-S is a perfect choice. With low spin off the tee and the gradational compression core for extra short game performance, this is a top of the line golf ball.
What To Look For In A Golf Ball
Here are a few of the primary considerations when choosing the proper golf ball for your game.
The lower the compression of a golf ball, the easier it is to compress. This means that if you are a slower swinging golfer, you are going to want a lower compression golf ball. High swing speed players should look for a higher compression ball to maximize distance.
Number of Pieces
Golf balls typically come in a 2, 3, 4, or 5 piece construction. There are lots of factors that will be affected by the golf ball construction. One thing to keep in mind is that something with two piece construction will typically be quite a bit cheaper than a four piece golf ball.
Golf balls are typically sold by the dozen, and the pricing can range from around $12 a dozen up to $50 or more. The price is usually determined by the construction of the ball as well as the materials. The price point will change based on several spin factors as well.
Most modern golf balls are going to have a urethane cover or an ionomer cover. There are positives and negatives to both. Typically when playing with a two piece ball, you will want to choose a ball with a softer cover. The cover will help players have a better feel around the greens.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Compression Golf Ball Do I Need?
Compression is a term that is thrown around quite a bit when it comes to choosing the perfect golf ball. Players that have a slow swing speed should look for the lowest compression ball. Those with a high swing speed need the higher compression ball. If you are playing with a ball that has a compression rating that is too high for you, chances are you will end up losing quite a bit of distance. The best golf balls for your game will be the ones that you can compress and get distance out of.
Are Three Piece Golf Balls Worth The Money?
The more pieces a golf ball is made up of, the more it can offer players from a performance standpoint. More pieces usually equal more distance and more control in the short game. If you are a lower handicapper that likes to control their shots around the greens, the more pieces, the better.
As you saw from our list, TaylorMade even has a five piece ball now. When your handicap gets lower, you need to consider using a ball that has more pieces.
Are Used Golf Balls Are Smart Buy?
Some golf balls are quite expensive. When you see options that are over $40 per dozen, you may consider purchasing a used ball or a refurbished ball. Indeed, these can sometimes offer a great price; the problem that we have with them is consistency.
Most of the time, you will get a mixed pack of used balls. Although some of them could be a Pro V1, there are probably other older golf balls or a golf ball that has been sitting at the bottom of a pond for a year. In other words, playing with a used golf ball is a bit of a risk.
Testing Criteria Used for Evaluation
When you have no idea what ball is going to be the right choice for your game, start with this guide to help narrow down what you need in your golf game.
If you are a faster swinger, you are going to need something that has a durable cover. A golf ball with a tour level cover will be able to withstand the beating it takes from all of that club head speed.
Usually, the four pieces or five-piece golf ball is going to be quite durable as well. Urethane tends to be a good material for a ball that will hold up for more than one round of golf.
Feel Near The Green
When you are near the hole, the short game and performance are the most critical part of the game. Finding a golf ball that has a mix of feel around the green with distance off the tee is a perfect combination.
When a golfer has feel around the green, they can better judge distances, landing areas, and overall control. As you get better at golf, you will notice there is a huge difference between a chip that lands three feet short and one that lands ten feet short. To take your game to the next level, feel is an essential factor.
Spin Off The Tee
Most players are looking for low spin off the tee. The low spin helps for two reasons. The first is that when the ball lands, it will roll forwards as opposed to stopping and rolling backward. The other reason is that it will help to eliminate some side spin on shots.
Side spin can make a golf ball turn left or right, even when the player does not want this to happen. A ball with an overall lower driver spin helps to keep the slices and hooks to a minimum.
The final factor that is worth paying attention to is the overall distance a ball can travel. Most golfers are willing to do whatever it takes to get a few extra yards out of their golf shots. Most of the time, a two piece ball is going to do a great job of getting your distance. Look for something that also has a soft overall feel so that you don’t struggle around the greens.
|Callaway Warbird||Best Golf Balls For Beginners|
|Shag Practice Golf Balls||Best Cheap Golf Balls|
|Titleist Velocity||Longest Golf Balls|
|Vice Tour||Best Senior Golf Balls|
|Wilson SmartCore||Best Golf Balls For A Slice|
|TaylorMade Noodle||Best Golf Balls for High Handicappers|
|Callaway Supersoft||Best Golf Balls For Average Golfer|
|Titleist Pro V1x||Best Golf Balls for High Swing Speed|
|Callaway HX Practice Ball||Best Practice Golf Ball|
|Maxfli SoftFli Matte White||Best Golf Balls For Low Compression|
|Bridgestone e6 Lady||Best Golf Balls For Women|
|Callaway ERC Soft||Best Cold Weather Golf Ball|
By now, we hope you understand the importance of finding the right golf ball for your game. We gave you choices for some of the best golf balls on the market, but you will have to choose what is going to be the best fit for your individual game.
Always keep in mind the teeing ground and the green when you choose the ball that is best for you. Remember there are excellent golf balls at all price ranges, don’t let the price point discourage you.
Last update on 2023-06-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API