An indoor golf simulator is the best way to keep your swing improving when you aren’t on the golf course. In this guide, we’ll go over the best golf simulators for home available right now that you can own in your own personal space.
In order to get a full simulator setup in your home, you need the following things:
- Swing analyzer
- Golf net (low budget) or projector screen (high budget)
- Turf mat
- The best Golf Simulator Software to tie everything together
What most golfers don’t realize is that these setups can be shockingly affordable and easy to set up. The problem is there are a lot of different golf simulation products out there and price ranges from the hundreds to the hundred-thousands. Instead of getting frustrated, I’ll teach you everything you need to know.
In this golf simulator review I’m going to review what I believe are the top 6 home golf simulators for the money and give you some recommendations of suggested complete best golf simulator setups for each simulator. If you want to start off with a better basic understanding of golf simulators, I highly recommend you checkout my home golf simulator 101 article.
Need more information? Here is a step by step guide on how to build your own golf simulator.
Please feel free to shoot me an email or leave a comment below!
What are the Best Indoor Golf Simulators for Home in 2022?
- FlightScope Mevo Plus (Best Overall) “This golf simulator proves just how incredible the latest technology has become. With simulation and gaming capabilities already integrated, the Mevo+ is not only budget-friendly but ready to go straight out of the box.”
- Skytrak (Best Reputation)
- FlightScope Mevo (Best on a Budget)
- OptiShot 2 (Cheap Golf Simulator)
- Foresight GC2 (Best Upgrade Pick)
- TruGolf Vista (Best All-Inclusive Bundle)
Best Golf Simulators
Best Overall Golf Simulator
- E6 Golf Simulation, Gamification, and Video capabilities all included in the price of the simulator
- Accuracy at a level you would expect to pay $10k more for
- Does not need to be moved for left/right handed players
- Brand new and in crazy high demand
- Needs more space (7 ft) than non-radar based golf simulators
Recently released and constantly updated, the FlightScope Mevo Plus has disrupted the home golf simulator industry. The makers at FlightScope realized that as technology improves and production costs go down, there was an opportunity to create an ultra-accurate simulator with incredible golf simulation capabilities. Plus, the Mevo Plus is a fraction of the price that golfers used to spend on an indoor golf simulator setup.
If you want to read even more about the Mevo Plus, including some impressive accuracy stats when paired up against the $14,000 GCQuad launch monitor and simulator, check out my full Mevo+ review.
Best Complete Indoor Golf Simulator Setup using the FlightScope Mevo Plus
The FlightScope Mevo+ PerfectBay Golf Simulator Package is a complete set that is perfect for your home. This set includes everything you need, including the Mevo+ itself, to be ready for endless indoor golf simulation.
Each component was hand selected for quality and durability to ensure your setup will provide long-term entertainment. With the Mevo+ launch monitor and simulator as the basis of this package, you will be set. PerfectBay also includes a good sized golf bay and everything else you need:
- Durable impact screen
- Pro swing turf
- 5 E6 Connect golf courses and 17 Practice Ranges to hit
- Best golf simulator reputation
- Perfect for smaller indoor spaces
- Best suited for Android devices
- Golf Digest awarded “Best Value Golf Simulator” 4 years running
- Subscription required to access advanced features
The SkyTrak golf simulator is the reigning champion of the $2k price range, and for good reason. Its hardware provides ultra-accurate readings that allow its software to produce an incredibly realistic golf simulation experience. It’s no surprise that this simulator is found in so many happy golfer’s homes across the country.
If you want to learn even more about the SkyTrak, I took a more in depth look at all the Skytrak launch monitor and simulator has to offer in my Skytrak review.
Best Complete Indoor Golf Simulator Bundle using the SkyTrak
The SkyTrak SIG12 Golf Simulator Setup is a complete package that pairs with the SkyTrak. What I love about this full swing golf simulator package is that the projector actually sits on the floor in front of you. This eliminates the hassle of mounting a projector on the ceiling or having to worry about your projector shadow blocking the image.
This package is all-inclusive and contains high quality and durable materials:
- Metal protective case
- Full SIG10 simulator enclosure
- Landing Pad Turf
- Multiple option hitting mat
- Simulator projector and ceiling mount
- Metal protective case
- Full SIG10 simulator enclosure
- Landing Pad Turf
- Multiple option hitting mat
- Simulator projector and ceiling mount
Best Golf Simulator on a Budget
- 3D Doppler radar-based launch monitor
- Measure your swing and view real-time performance data
- Automatic video clipping and storage
- Very reasonably priced for tracking your golf swing
The FlightScope Mevo is the base version of our favorite indoor golf simulator. It provides a number of useful stats that can help you improve your golf swing and fix your mistakes.
Some of the stats included in the base Mevo are:
- Carry distance
- Clubhead speed
- Ball sped
- Smash factor
- Vertical launch angle
- Spin Rate
The biggest drawback is that the base Mevo does not simulator ball flight. As well, the base Mevo is only made for hitting into a golf ball net and not a full simulator screen. However, that’s not a reason to ignore this as a base option. The Mevo can be used indoors and outdoors. Check out my full FlightScope Mevo review.
Best Golf Return Net for the FlightScope Mevo Base Model
The Net Return Home Series Golf Net is our pick for best golf return net to pair with your base Mevo model. This is the only golf net in the world that automatically returns the golf ball back to you. This net can handle ball speeds of up to 225 mies per hour. It has an aluminum frame for maximum durability.
The Net Return net has side wings to keep your golf ball in place during a miss hit.
If you don’t need a fancy full simulator setup, then the base Mevo plus this net is the best option for you.
Cheap Golf Simulator
- Best affordable home simulator
- Golf simulation package included in price of the simulator
- Does not need to be moved for left/right handed players
- Compatible with real or foam balls
- Less accurate than more expensive devices
- Needs to be placed within a specialized golf mat to lay flat
As one of the most inexpensive launch monitors on the market, it’s easy to dismiss the OptiShot 2 as cheap and junky, but to do that would be a big mistake. The OptiShot 2 truly brings loads of home golf simulator fun at a fraction of the price.
Plus, the OptiShot is the easiest simulator to setup in our list. It is compatible with a PC or Mac computer and comes preloaded with 15 standard courses.
Unlike other options in this list, the OptiShot 2 includes all of its sensors right into its hitting mat. This cuts down on cost and makes it a cheaper golf simulator than others on this list.
If you’re interested, you can read a more in-depth review about the OptiShot 2.
Best Complete Indoor Golf Simulator Bundle Using the OptiShot 2
The OptiShot 2 Golf In A Box Simulator Package is the complete package. It comes with all you need, including the OptiShot 2, and costs LESS THAN $1,000 TOTAL!
When golfers come to me asking for the best complete and affordable golf simulator setup on a budget, I send them to the OptiShot 2 golf in a box and nothing else!
Please note: since the OptiShot 2 lays on the ground, it’s important that the golf mat used has the correct shape cut out as you can see in this recommended package.
Best Upgrade Pick
- True-to-Life Simulation experience with incredible graphics
- Incredible accuracy can be used beyond golf simulation such as for club fitting
- Truly instant feedback
- Built-in LCD data display
- Costly: the simulator, software, and add-ons add up quickly
The GC2 is Foresight Sports’ “best-selling professional-grade launch monitor of all time” and for good reason! A Foresight golf launch monitor boasts incredible accuracy and can handle all the simulation features and top notch graphics every golfer dreams of.
The GC2 has a high-resolution camera that can capture up to 10,000 frames per second. The image processing and golf ball movement data is top tier. This simulator provides you with comprehensive data on every swing.
Read our full GC2 review.
Best Complete Indoor Golf Simulator Setup using the ForeSight GC2
The GC2 SwingBay Golf Simulator Package + FSX is our pick for top GC2 simulator package. Due to the higher price of the GC2, I’ve found that many online stores try to cut corners with their packages, such as this one that includes a projector mounting kit, but no projector!
This simulator package includes everything you need for a complete setup at home PLUS the FSX software that you would otherwise need to purchase separately for an additional $3,000.
You may notice the GC2 is certified pre-owned. Due to the high quality of the GC2 I have never heard of a problem from pre-owned devices, but if you have heard otherwise, please shoot me an email!
Best All-Inclusive Bundle
- Price is for an all-inclusive golf simulation setup
- All hardware made by TruGolf for seamless integration
- Meant for more permanent golf simulation setups
- Price includes E6 Connect Software
- Due to permanent nature, has more lengthy installation
The TruGolf Vista Series are some of the best golf simulator setups. The company does not separate out the individual golf simulator device, instead selling this as a complete package deal. What this results in is some incredibly well put together golf simulator setups that run as one smooth functioning machine.
The Vista simulator captures a bunch of key data points, including:
- Launch angle
- Clubface angle
- Ball speed
- Club path
- Clubhead speed
The TruGolf E6 software is also well polished. There are tons of different options for each course, including time of data and custom tee boxes.
You can read my full TruGolf review of the entire Vista Series.
TruGolf Vista 8 Pro Golf Simulator Package
Best Complete Indoor Golf Simulator Setup using TruGolf Vista
The TruGolf Vista 8 Pro Golf Simulator is a solid complete kit for you. Although there are more expensive TruGolf Vista setups, I’ve spent way too much time studying the differences and I am convinced the Vista 8 Pro Simulator is the best setup for the money.
This all-inclusive package is made entirely by the TruGolf team, so there is no piecemeal setup here! That means everything fits and works together perfectly. No worrying about hitting mat dimensions fitting your projector screen or if the hardware and software are compatible!
You can rest assured that once you have this setup installed you’ll be fully ready for a complete and vivid golf simulation experience.
Top Five Finishing Touches for Your Golf Simulator Room
Once you have your golf simulator for home set up, be it the garage or basement, you might consider these five finishing touches to really impress your best golf buddies when they come over:
Golf Club Storage Rack
You’d be surprised at how often this gets overlooked. Your golf clubs have to go somewhere, so you might as well keep them organized and off the ground. Here’s the best golf club storage rack for you and your friends’ golf clubs.
- DOUBLE GOLF BAG ORGANIZER: Organize and store all your golfing equipment in one spot. Ideal for garages or basements
- FUNCTIONAL STORAGE: This organizer comes with three shelves and a 5" bin for all your equipment
- DURABLE: Constructed with sturdy metal to last for years to come
- ADJUSTABLE FEET: Level the organizer by adjusting the feet so you never have to worry about knocking it over
- IDEAL SIZE: This organizer can store 2 golf bags and measures 32" x 16" x 37"
Connect via wireless Bluetooth with any device to listen to tunes or crisp sound for your simulator gaming for the best golf experience. Here’s our most popular sound bar.
- Single sound bar provides better sound quality compared to your TV.The Solo 5 TV sound system is an easy solution, with advanced technologies that deliver the clear audio your TV can’t.
- Dialogue mode to make every word and detail stand out
- Bluetooth connectivity to wirelessly stream music from any of your devices
- One connection to your TV. Optical audio input (digital); Coaxial audio input (digital); 3.5 mm aux input (analog)
- Universal remote controls TV, bass, Bluetooth connections and more
Wink at your friends as you open up your globe and serve them your favorite liquor before you play with your simulator setup. Here’s our most popular globe bar.
- HISTORY AND CRAFTSMANSHIP MADE IN ITALY – The Mappamondo Bar da Terra Da Vinci Blue Dust is naturally inspired by the genius of Leonardo da Vinci, his studies of painting, perspectives and colours. This globe is a combination of history and craftsmanship: it is made with top quality materials, worked by skilled artisan hands to celebrate art in every detail. The Da Vinci Blue Dust is one of the flagship globes of the Elegance line, our timeless classic.
- REFINED DECORATIONS – The Mappamondo Da Vinci Rust becomes the protagonist of any room where it is placed thanks to the fascinating 18th century map, including mythological and ornamental drawings of the time. The lower base, to which the wheels are connected, is decorated with a Rose of Winds, in harmony with the zodiac drawings present around the equator. The inside of the sphere, however, presents images of the celestial constellation.
- REFINED FURNITURE COMPLEMENT – The Da Vinci Blue Dust Mappamondo Bar is perfect to fit in any environment and style, attracting the attention of anyone who notices it. It is in fact an elegant piece of furniture, ideal for serving a drink to guests in an unexpected way. Da Vinci is designed for those who feel creative, for those who love time travel and for those who love art. That is why it is an original gift idea to combine with a fine bottle of wine.
- CLASS MINIBAR - Da Vinci Blue Dust has a small size - 55 x 55 x 93 cm - but, thanks to the 40 cm diameter globe, it can accommodate at least 2 bottles and up to 9 glasses, depending on the size. Additional bottles can be stored on the lower compartment to offer more choice for guests. This globe is ideal for storing precious bottles for great occasions. A touch of class? The northern hemisphere can rotate on itself!
- PACKING AND SHIPPING – Each Zoffoli globe is carefully packed with durable materials that ensure the product is protected during transport and arrives at its destination in perfect condition. Shipping is fast and free throughout Italy.
Smart Refrigerator Coffee Table
Beer fridges are for college, this coffee table not only cools your favorite beverage but charges your phone AND tells the time! Here’s our most popular smart coffee table.
No products found.
One of the best things about playing golf inside of your home is being able to listen to music while you play. The Amazon Alexa is a portable music player that can play any song from your music library with your voice. Place this in the corner of your room and have a blast with your friends today.
- Meet the Echo Dot - Our most popular smart speaker with Alexa. The sleek, compact design delivers crisp vocals and balanced bass for full sound.
- Voice control your entertainment - Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, SiriusXM, and others. Play music, audiobooks, and podcasts throughout your home with multi-room music.
- Ready to help - Ask Alexa to tell a joke, play music, answer questions, play the news, check the weather, set alarms, and more.
- Control your smart home - Use your voice to turn on lights, adjust thermostats, and lock doors with compatible devices.
- Start Routines with your motion - Turn on compatible lights, play your Flash Briefing, or turn on the coffee maker when you walk into the room.
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
What Does a DIY golf simulator cost?
A home golf simulator system can cost between hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars. In this article we have discussed the best DIY golf simulator on a budget which can be put together for less that $500. However, if you want high quality simulation images and a full setup, you should expect to pay somewhere between $5,000-$10,000 as a start.
How much room do you need for golf simulator?
You need a room that is approximately 9′ high x 10′ wide x 16′ long for a golf simulator system. If you are looking at radar-based golf simulators like the Mevo+ you will need more space while photometric golf simulators like SkyTrak and Foresight GC2 require less space. Keep in mind if you are tall you may want to round up on space so as not to compromise on your full swing!
What is the best home golf simulator?
The best golf simulator for you depends on your budget. If you have unlimited funds by all means go for the 100k simulator system, and please invite me over! For those golfers with a reasonable simulator budget, the best home golf simulator is the brand new Mevo Plus. You can have a lot of fun improving your golf game and swing and the simulator is incredibly accurate.
How much does it cost to put in a golf simulator?
If you want to put in a golf simulator system you can expect to pay between $500 – $50,000. If you want to buy an OptiShot 2 for about $400, it is the most affordable golf simulator for home. However, if you want to put in a permanent golf simulator system I would highly recommend using the TruGolf Vista Series. These are the best golf simulators in that they are completely all-inclusive with all parts put together by the same company, the simulator system is incredible, and yet they are still within a reasonable budget starting at about $12,000.
Are golf simulators worth it?
Absolutely! If you pitch in the extra money to buy a decently accurate golf simulator, you will get valuable feedback on every shot to help improve your game. It’s impossible to not pay attention to your personal swing data as you play simulation courses. You may start to notice the distance you get with different clubs on the simulator which will be invaluable out on actual courses. You can also make adjustments based on other data like smash factor to improve your swing technique. Our top pick for best golf simulators is the FlightScope Mevo Plus with the SkyTrak launch monitor as a close second.
Do you need to buy a golf net?
Do you like to keep your windows and drywall intact? Then yes they are worth it! But in all seriousness, you absolutely need some sort of impact screen or golf net to hit your ball into to absorb the impact and allow net return. If you are using foam balls you can get away with a swing into a bed sheet. As for the side nets, I would personally recommend you go for it, the best golf simulators always include them. But if you’re not worried about damaging the walls you can probably get away without them.
The basic components of a golf simulator setup
To spare you unnecessary confusion and headaches, I’ve compiled this easy guide to quickly get you setup to have fun with the best golf simulators for your specific budget and situation to get you playing ASAP.
Although there is a lot of variation between different golf simulators setups, they all typically contain the following basic components:
A golf simulator is a golf launch monitor that is set on the ground and “watches” your full swing with sensors to measure your club and swing data (ie ball speed, shots). It then uses algorithms and software to be a simulator of your shot and game on a screen on various courses around the world.
Launch monitors have different measurement abilities and the quality of the simulation are highly variable and price-dependent but are all ultimately geared as a way help you improve your game while having fun. No home simulator is complete without this system!
For your home simulator system you will need both a golf mat where you stand to hit shots and a golf mat that serves as a landing pad turf to catch your golf ball shots rebound off the impact screen, called net return. Make sure you have enough space in your room for the mat.
Net return is important to avoid going back and forth to your impact screen pick up your ball after your shots. If you want to learn more, check out our full review here.
Net and Impact Screen
The net and impact screen usually come as a pair and are used to both display your virtual golf game projector and capture the ball with the screen after you hit it, called net return. Be sure your game space allows for full swing shots into the screen and that it is durable for the impact. It should also make the most of your projector as the game displayed should be a vivid experience.
If you are serious about improving your swing game, you want to be sure your simulator setup has a way to catch your ball and offer net return. You can read our full review on practice nets here & for impact screens and enclosures click here.
This is the part of the simulator system used to project the simulation onto your impact screen. As a way to save money, you can also have your simulation system displayed on a TV screen, computer screen, or tablet screen, although this is considerably less simulator fun.
To swing your way through life-sized simulator courses is by far the best system! Here’s the link to our full golf projector roundup review.
Computer and Golf Simulator Software
Between the golf simulator sensors and the projector you need a middle man. Luckily your home laptop will likely work just fine, but be sure to double check your golf simulator’s specific requirements. Some courses are a full world and the game can use up a lot of space and stress your computer simulator system, so be sure to double check.
There are a few simulation softwares available: E6 Connect and TGC2019 are my pick for the best golf simulator software, but other options like WGT Golf and OptiShot’s own solution are good too.
Overall, the faster your computer, the better the simulator system will spit out your game and the more realistic your swing will feel.
|Mevo Plus||Best Overall|
|FlightScope Mevo||Best on a Budget|
|OptiShot 2||Easy to Setup|
|Foresight GC2||Best Upgrade Pick|
|TruGolf Vista||Best All-Inclusive Bundle|
Last update on 2022-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API