The hybrid is an underrated golf club in your bag, able to get solid distance from the tee or the fairway and still easy to hit. In this guide, I’ll show you the best hybrid golf clubs in 2022 that you should look at buying today.
- Why they are the best
- Key features in each club
- How to buy yours toay
The hybrid serves so many purposes, and most golfers would be lost without them as a replacement for long irons. The game of golf has changed since the introduction of the hybrid golf club, and it will likely change more as this club is updated and advanced over time.
If you are looking to upgrade your hybrid or if this is the first one you are adding to your bag, you are in the right place.
Our 7 Best Hybrid Golf Clubs in 2022
- TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX (Best Overall)“The TaylorMade Sim 2 Max Hybrid improves on the first generation with new features, incredible forgiveness and maximum distance for the mid to high handicap golfer. You will not find a hybrid capable of hitting further with the same feel as this golf club.”
- Cobra LTDX Hybrid (Most Forgiving Hybrid)
- Callaway Rogue ST MAX OS (Best Hybrid Golf Club for Beginners)
- TaylorMade Stealth Rescue (Best Technology in a Hybrid)
- Mavrik Max Hybrid (Best Hybrid Golf Club for High Handicapper)
- Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid (Best Hybrid Golf Club for Low Handicapper)
- Cleveland Halo Hybrid (Best Hybrid on a Budget)
Best Hybrid Golf Clubs
TaylorMade SIM 2 Max
Best Overall Hybrid Golf Club
BUY IT NOW
- Available in a variety of lofts
- Great distance technology
- Steel Twist face and V Steel Sole offer forgiveness and versatility
- Great feel even for players with lower handicaps
- Pricing is a little high as it is a new release
- Club head is a little large, may not appeal to the lower handicap golfers
If you are a TaylorMade fan, you know that they have had a great deal of success with the SIM series that they have released over the last few years. This year they introduced a brand new line of golf clubs called the SIM 2. The SIM 2 clubs are available in irons, hybrids, fairway woods, and drivers.
The TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Hybrid is the best overall hybrid golf club on the market. There were some significant improvements made to the SIM Max that will set it apart from the rest of the competition. For starters, the forgiveness and turf interaction on this hybrid is much better than in years past.
The V Steel technology is not new for TaylorMade; they have been using this on fairway woods for many years. However, this year they refined the V Steel technology on the SIM 2 Max Hybrid golf clubs, and it has had some very positive reactions. The V Steel sole is a unique design that allows golfers success out of almost any lie on the golf course.
As we mentioned, TaylorMade is very serious about ball speeds. To get the ball speeds as high as possible on the SIM Max, they used their revolutionary speed pocket technology. The speed pocket helps generate extra ball speed and allows a golfer to miss-hit the ball slightly off the bottom without it causing a terrible result.
If you are playing with technology introduced more than three or four years ago, you will see tremendous gains in the distance with this club. The SIM 2 line of clubs is easier to hit than the TaylorMade Stealth lineup, though the Stealth gets a lot of the hype these days.
The SIM Max Hybrid golf clubs comes standard with a Fujikura Ventus 6 Shaft. This is a premium golf shaft high launch and mid-high spin. You can get the hybrid in several different lofts, starting with a 3-Hybrid and working up to a 6-Hybrid.
The only real downside to this hybrid is that it is priced a bit high. That is to be expected, considering it is a brand new release from a top company. If you still have long irons in your golf bag, now is the time to get them out and put in a SIM Max.
- Modern Players Shape. More compact shape provides added versatility for the players who want-iron like flight and workability. A new leading edge, sole geometry and optimized CG placement make this a weapon from any lie.
- New V Steel Design. An updated V Steel design redistributes weight to enhance forgiveness while maintaining low CG properties. A depressed heel and toe minimize sole area, adding to V Steel's turf interaction and versatility benefits.
- Forged C300 Steel Twist Face. Forged High-strength C300 steel allows for a strong fast face engineered for explosive ball speeds, paired with Twist Face to overcome inherent golfer tendencies on miss-hits for straighter shots.
- New Asymmetric Thru-Slot Speed Pocket. New asymmetric Thru-Slot Speed Pocket provides increased face flexibility, preservation of ball speed and distance, especially on low face strikes.
- Adjustable 1.5° Loft Sleeve. Provides adjustability and personalization to optimize trajectory and face angle.
Cobra LTDX Hybrid
Most Forgiving Hybrid Golf Club
BUY IT NOW
- Great distance and forgiveness
- Low center of gravity to help launch
- Machine learning based club face
- Head shape is a bit wider than some lower handicappers look for
Like the LTDX driver, the new Cobra Golf LTDX hybrid has insane forgiveness in it. This is due to the low and forward tungsten weight placed in the bottom of the hybrid club head. You can power through any lie in the fairway or rough with this club.
Cobra has perfected the use of machine learning over the past few years to perfect the club face. It uses data points gathered over thousands of golf swings to tune and perfect the impact density of the face. This increases forgiveness in the club.
Like previous Cobra hybrid clubs, the LTX hybrid has the Baffler Rail technology. Cobra was the first company to bring a product like this to market many years ago. Every hybrid they have made since then has somehow incorporated the rails.
The Baffler rails are two bars on the bottom of the hybrids golf clubs that help a golfer to get through any lie. If you hit the ball on the rough or the fairway, this hybrid club helps you to get incredible ball flight and plenty of distance.
One of the things I like about the LTDX hybrid is how high the launch is. Even on the fairway, the launch feels like it is coming off of a tee.
Like all Cobra clubs, you are eligible to free Arccos Smart Sensors if you buy this hybrid, which is a really nice perk.
- Pwr-Cor Technology-Multi material weighting system positions mass low and forward to combine low spin with faster ball speed for enhanced distance
- HOT Face-Highly Optimized Technology uses Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning to design 15 HOT Zones to increase ball speed and smash factor across the face
- PwrShell Face Cup Design-A forged face cup is designed to increase flex across the face and the sole for faster ball speed and higher launch
- Baffler Rails-Two Baffler sole rails allow the club to glide effortlessly out of the tight lies, thick rough and even bunkers
Callaway Rogue ST MAX OS Hybrid
Best Hybrid Golf Club for Beginners
BUY IT NOW
- Oversized club head perfect for beginners
- Maximum forgiveness in a hybrid club
- Wide loft offering
- Higher price for beginners
The Callaway Rogue ST MAX OS is our pick for beginner golfers who want the perfect hybrid golf club for their bag. We’ve talked in length about how forgiving and awesome the Rogue ST clubs feel when you hit them. The hybrid club model is no different.
The OS model line from Callaway stands for oversized which is nicer for new golfers. The club head will allow for more forgiveness on off-center hits. This is accomplished through the jailbreak system; two frames on the heel and the toe of the club that provide stiffness during impact. This allows the face to flex and giving you very high ball speeds.
The Rogue ST MAX hybrid also features the AI designed face cup by Callaway. This is artificial intelligence applied to the club face that adds density in strategic locations. This will help you get more distance on each shot.
Another feature that is perfect for beginners is the loft selection. The Rogue ST MAX OS hybrid comes all the way from 3-hybrid up to 8-hybrid. New golfers could replace almost every iron in their bag with this set of clubs.
- These hybrids feature a new A.I.-designed Jailbreak system that’s been completely redesigned for speed and stability. The two Jailbreak frames are pushed to the perimeter, providing stiffness while allowing the face to flex for high speeds.
- From their high strength 455 Face Cup, Callaway has applied an all new A.I. face optimization to include speed, launch and spin. This unique face pattern is customized for each model and loft in the hybrid lineup.
- Up to 24g of precision tungsten allows for precise Center of Gravity (CG) locations, delivering optimal launch with even more ball speed.
- They’ve implemented a larger clubhead design for easy launch, more draw bias and confidence over the ball. The sole construction promotes better turf interaction and versatility.
TaylorMade Stealth Rescue
Best Technology in a Hybrid
BUY IT NOW
- Carbon crown construction adds distance and performance
- High launch
- Thru-slot speed pocked designed to maximize ball speed
- High price
The TaylorMade Stealth Rescue has brand new carbonwood technology built into the crown of the club. Carbon is a denser weight in the same mass compared to other clubs. That gives you extra club speed with the Stealth that you won’t find with other hybrids on this list.
Unlike the Stealth driver, which I found a little less forgiving, the Stealth Rescue is good for any handicap. It has a really high launch thanks to the low-placed tungsten in the foot of the club. This helps get good launch out of the fairway or the rough equally.
This hybrid has a C300 steel twist face and a thru-slot speed pocket on it that promotes extra ball speed.
The spin is low on the base Stealth Rescue and you should opt for the Stealth Plus rescue if you want a little more spin on your ball. If you do that, you’ll only have the choice between a 2, 3 or 4-hybrid. If the regular Stealth Rescue is fine, you’ll have a selection from 3 to 7.
You also get Arccos for free when you buy this club, so take advantage of that!
- Providing vital contrast between face and crown, the laser etched alignment aid is designed to highlight directional alignment for boosted confidence and accurate aim.
- Refined weight distribution for enhanced forgiveness while maintaining optimal launch properties. It stays true to its heritage by improving turf interaction and versatility.
- High-strength C300 steel allows for a strong, fast face engineered for explosive ball speeds. The proven Twist Face design helps golfers overcome inherent mis-hit tendencies for straighter shots.
- Our most flexible Speed Pocket design is engineered to maximize ball speeds and produce additional forgiveness on low-face strikes.
Mavrik Max Hybrid
Best For High Handicapper
BUY IT NOW
- Available in many lofts
- Easy to launch
- Premium distance technology
- Extremely forgiving hybrid club
- Very large club head
The Mavrik Max Hybrid is our favorite option for the high handicap golfer. Why we love this model for the players who score a bit higher is that it is oversized and very forgiving. The Mavrik Max is considered a Super Game Improvement hybrid.
For the first time in Callaway’s history, they combined their Flash Face and their Jailbreak Technology with the Face Cup Technology. This probably sounds like a lot of technical jargon, and it is. The most important thing you need to know is that this is a great and forgiving golf club.
Even if you miss the sweet spot on the hybrid, you will get some good results. If you struggle with getting enough clubhead speed, the Mavrik Max makes that a bit easier. The ball truly jumps off the clubface of these hybrids.
As far as launch is concerned, the Mavrik Max has a very low center of gravity that leads to long carries and much softer landings than in the past. If you want to use a hybrid for long approaches on a fairway shot or to land a ball on a green from the tee, you can do so with the Mavrik Max.
Callaway used Artificial Intelligence to design these Mavrik Hybrid, and it has genuinely helped to optimize ball speed. If a hybrid is a new club for you, or if you are adding more of them to your golf bag, you will be impressed with the performance of the Mavrik Max.
The stock shaft in the Mavrik Max is the Project X Catalyst shaft. This is a mid-weight/mid-launch shaft perfect for the golfer that needs ultimate forgiveness. If you end up liking the Mavrik Max hybrid, you will be delighted to find out that it comes in a three-hybrid down to an eight hybrid. If you have the budget for it, you can fill your entire golf bag with these clubs.
The only real downside to the Mavrik Max is that they are higher in price since they were just released. The other issue you could run into with them is that the head is huge. This is done to help the higher handicap player. If you don’t like a giant club head, then look at the Mavrik Hybrid. It still has many of the same great benefits, but it is a smaller-scale design.
- Flash Face for Exceptional Ball Speed and Unconventional Forgiveness
- Jailbreak Technology + Face Cup for Fast Ball Speeds
- MAX Playability
- Optimized Women’s Package
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid
Best for Low Handicapper
BUY IT NOW
- Truly built for the lower handicap player
- One of the best hybrids for feel and work ability
- Very compact and clean head shape
- Very high ball speed
- Club face sweet spot is a bit small
- Not very forgiving
The Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids give a lower handicap player the distance and work-ability they need while still incorporating the latest and greatest performance technologies. The Apex 21 Hybrids use the jailbreak technology to produce some of the fastest ball speeds on the market.
This is a more compact design than other hybrids, making a seamless transition from the irons. If you are a lower handicap player that is borderline about putting a three-iron in the bag, we suggest trying something like the Apex 21 instead. You will get much more versatility from a variety of lies, but you can still work the ball the way you need to.
Another thing about the majority of lower handicappers is that they want a classic looking design. The cleaner it looks, the better. The Apex 21 is a very clean and classic looking hybrid. It has the dark PVD finish and comes with a True Temper Catalyst Shaft. This shaft will be lower launching and a bit heavier than the shafts used in the game improvement models.
The Apex 21 hybrid has tungsten weighting in the bottom of the club to improve launch and forgiveness. This hosel on this hybrid is adjustable, another nice feature for experienced golfers.
- Apex Hybrids feature Jailbreak A.I. Velocity Blades that are engineered to increase vertical stiffness near the sole of the club, creating more speed low on the face where players often mishit their hybrids.
- These blades allow the Face Cup to flex on the crown to promote better spin rate consistency, and the bars are spread to enhance torsional stiffness, leading to more forgiveness all across the face.
- Every model and every face in our Apex Hybrids are uniquely designed using advanced A.I. This proven ball speed design puts an even greater emphasis on center and off-center ball speeds.
- We’ve implemented a massive amount of tungsten weighting into each loft offering. By doing this, our R&D team can precisely position the Center of Gravity lower to promote high launch, and to provide more forgiveness on off-center shots.
- Apex Hybrids come with an adjustable hosel to help optimize your loft, trajectory and control for even more versatility.
Best on a Budget
BUY IT NOW
- Good replacement for fairway wood
- Improved turf interaction
- Best for moderate swing speed player
- Fair price
- Not as long as other options
If you are a golfer on a budget, we don’t blame you for looking for a lower-priced hybrid. Golf equipment can get very expensive. When you look at the price of one hybrid, it’s not so terrible, when you consider adding three of them to your golf bag; it adds up fast.
Generally speaking, Cleveland has always been very fair with their pricing. The Cleveland Halo Hybrid is no exception. You will find that this hybrid is reasonably priced, high performing, and long-lasting as well.
The Cleveland Halo has a set of three glide rails installed on the bottom of the club. These are very similar to the Baffler Rails that Cobra uses on their hybrid. The concept behind the Glide rails is to give you better turf interaction out of a variety of lies.
The Cleveland Halo hybrid comes standard with the Cleveland Hibore Crown, which has performed well for Cleveland in the past few years. The general idea is that by changing the shape of the crown, they could reposition weight and move the center of gravity lower.
If you are a mid to high handicapper looking for low spin and high launch, you will enjoy this golf club. It is only available in the 2, 3, and 4 hybrids, but it truly is a great tool to put in your golf bag.
- Guiderails - featuring a set of three Rails, The leading edge and sole geometries are optimized for improved turf interaction and speed retention.
- HI bore Crown - the redesigned HI Bore Crown enables a lower CG position, promoting that ideal low spin, high launch ball flight.
- High strength steel face - constructed using high strength steel, the variable face Insert provides higher COR over a larger impact area leading to increased ball speeds and distance.
How to Hit a Hybrid Golf Club Far
Want some tips on how to hit your hybrid most efficiently? Below is a selection of hybrid golf club videos that show you the proper way to hit this utility club in your bag.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Should The Shaft In My Hybrid Match The Shafts In My Irons Or Woods?
The shaft you use in your hybrid golf club will likely be the same flex as the shaft you use in your fairway wood and driver. The shaft may not be the same as your iron shafts.
Many people play with steel shafted irons, but when it comes time for a hybrid, the hybrids are only available in graphite. This is how hybrids should be as a steel-shafted hybrid is not going to do you much good.
However, since a hybrid is made with a graphite shaft, you may want to consider going with a slightly stiffer flex. Graphite is easier to swing faster, and that extra speed may help you to get a bit more distance if you are using the right flex.
How Do I Determine Which Loft To Buy?
Determining the proper loft on your hybrid comes down to figuring out the gaps in your golf bag. Before you purchase your hybrid, you will need to know the lofts of both your irons and your fairway woods.
If you know that the last iron you are comfortable with is a five iron, determine the loft on your five iron and the next club up in your bag. Find a club that fits directly in between those two lofts.
Finding the proper loft spacing between your clubs is very important and needs to be taken seriously. If you are not sure of your abilities to hit a hybrid with a lower loft, buy something adjustable so you can always make it a little easier to hit.
Do I Need A 6 Iron and A 6 Hybrid?
Although this may sound silly, sometimes you will need both a six iron and a six hybrid in your bag. As we mentioned, you need to make sure that all of your lofts are covered.
Especially for a female golfer, hybrids can be much easier to hit out of the rough than irons. If you use a six hybrid out of a tough lie, you are likely to get a much better result than if you use a six iron. However, you may want to keep that six iron in the bag for a punch shot out of the woods or to keep a ball low and let it run down a fairway.
Is A 3 Hybrid The Same As A 5 Wood?
This all depends on the lofts. Very often, a three hybrid and a five wood can have the same loft. However, just because they have the same loft does not mean that they are guaranteed to go the same distance.
Fairway woods were designed for length. You will likely be able to hit your five wood further than your three hybrids because it is designed for distance. It is much easier to go after a pin and stop a ball on a green with a three hybrid. You will have to determine which matters more for your game if you only have a spot in your bag for one or the other.
What Should I Look For In A Forgiving Hybrid?
One of the most important things to consider is the center of gravity. A golf club with a low center of gravity is going to help you launch the ball in the air and give you plenty of forgiveness.
Another critical factor in a forgiving hybrid is the size of the sweet spot. Like any golf club, the larger that sweet spot, the easier it is to make contact and produce impressive golf shots.
Should I Buy An Adjustable Hybrid?
We love adjustable golf clubs when they make sense for your game. Buying a golf club that can be changed by a degree or two to be a completely new tool in your bag has tremendous value.
If the hybrid that works best for your game happens not to be adjustable, do not let this deter you. Just make sure you choose the proper loft, and everything will be fine.
Do Low Handicap Golfers Use Hybrids?
If low handicap golfers are not using hybrids, they should be! It takes a great deal of club head speed to hit a four-iron solid. It’s even more difficult when you consider a three-iron. Even low handicap players need to think about the smartest clubs for their bags.
Although it feels terrific to flush a three or four iron, how many times out of ten, can you flush it? How many times out of ten, can you hit a perfect hybrid? If you are a low handicap golfer fighting the switch to hybrids, try taking one out on the course with you and seeing if it makes certain shots a bit easier.
What Is A Hybrid Iron Set?
A hybrid iron set is a complete set of hybrid golf clubs. Instead of playing with a standard iron for part of your set and switching to a hybrid in the long irons, you would play with all hybrids.
Many lower swing speed players and seniors are having a great deal of luck with these types of golf clubs. They have made the game enjoyable again for people who struggle with getting the ball up in the air.
What Are The Advantages of Hybrid Clubs?
Here are our favorite advantages of the hybrids:
- Much easier to hit than a long iron
- Works well out of good and bad lies
- Can get better ball flight than long irons
- Easy to stop on a green
- Can hit out of a fairway bunker
- Can be used around the green as a chipper at times
Testing Criteria Used for Evaluation
If you want a club that offers a great deal of distance, you must look for something that produces high ball speed. Ball speed is going to translate directly into distance. You can expect that a hybrid with the same loft as one of your irons will go further because it is just that much easier to hit. The best hybrids for distance will have a high-performing clubface that gives the ball a big jump at impact.
How will you know which shaft to put in your hybrid? The best thing to do is to try a few clubs before you purchase one. Luckily all hybrids come with a graphite shaft, so you will only need to determine the flex and the weight. Most mid and high handicappers will do completely fine with the stock shaft offered in the hybrid they choose. Lower handicap golfers may need something with a bit more weight in the shaft.
We love adjustability in a golf club. Not all of the best hybrids will have adjustability, and that is ok. If you are one of those golfers working on improving their golf game, you will love the ability to adjust the club as you grow. If a club does not have adjustability, it doesn’t mean that it won’t be a good fit for you, it’s just something to keep in mind as you shop for a new hybrid.
Some clubs will have the ability to adjust loft and others will allow you to adjust both loft and lie.
Hopefully, our guide and picks of the best hybrid golf clubs have helped you feel better about making a decision. Hybrids are easier to hit than both a fairway wood and an iron. If you have not tried putting one in your golf bag, now is the time to give it a try.
The TaylorMade SIM 2 Max stands out as our favorite choice. This club will have tons of distance producing technology mixed with forgiveness and high launch. The TaylorMade brand is a trustworthy and reliable product, and you will have this club in your bag for many years.
Last update on 2022-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API