Putting is the most important aspect of golf that you should improve on to lower your score. In this guide, I’ll show you the best golf putting aids available today AND the best drills that you can try to putt better.
Before I show you the putting drills, let’s go through what putting aids you can buy today.
What are the Best Golf Putting Aids?
- PuttOut Pressure Putting Trainer – Best Overall Golf Putting Aid
- Pro Path Golf Putting Mirror – Best Golf Putting Mirror
- The Putting Stick – Best Alignment Aid
- Blast Motion Golf Putting Analyzer – Best AI Putting Analyzer
- GolfPutting Arc MS-3D – Most Innovative
- EyeLine Golf Edge Mirror Training Aid – Another Putting Mirror
- 5 Footer Golf Training Aid – Best for Short Putts
What is a Golf Putting Aid?
Golf putting aids help you practice your putting at home or on the practice green without the pressure of a golf round. Putting is one of the essential parts of a golf game and something that many amateur golfers will struggle with.
If you can find a consistent flow on the putting green, you will see your scores lower and your confidence increase.
Next, I’ll review some of the best golf putting aids on the market below in detail to help sink more putts and lower your score.
PuttOut Pressure – Putting Trainer
If you’re looking for the best putting aids to help you practice you’re putting even if you’re at home or at the office, check out the PuttOut Pressure Putting Trainer. I test and analyze A LOT of golf equipment here at Hitting The Golf Ball. However, it is very rare to find a product that is both excel in its category, while also being low priced and affordable.
The PuttOut Pressure Putting Trainer is popular with amateur and professional golfers. With constant practice on your putting stroke, you can work on your speed control and find the alignment bit easier.
This training aid has a simple design but does an excellent job as a training aid. This is small and collapsible so it will take only a little space on your golf bag. It is made from elastomer polycarbonate. To brighten up your mood, it is available in four colors — blue, orange, green, and red.
We’ve already written a lot of praise about the PuttOut Pressure Putting Trainer. This is our top pick among the putting aids if you’re serious about training to improve your putting skills.
- Has a parabolic curve design
- Available in different colors
- Collapsible and can easily fit in your golf bag
- Immediate feedback
- Efficient use of time and space
- This training aid is designed to simulate the exact conditions of putting into a real hole on the green by it's ground-breaking parabolic curved design
- Each successful putt is returned the same distance it would have gone past the hole if it had missed - great feedback for getting the pace just right.
- Designed to return good putts and reject bad ones.
- Made from high quality, elastomer and translucent polycarbonate, PuttOUT folds and fits into your golf bag.
- Build repetition into your practice to improve your pace putting and to practice pressure putting.
Pro Path Golf Putting Mirror
Best Putting Mirror
The Pro Path putting mirror is perfect for all types of players. It is portable with a putting alignment mirror and can be your on-the-go putting training.
This comes with a microfiber carry pouch, so you can practice your perfect putt not just at home, but also in the office during your spare time or even at the green. You can also use the pouch to wipe the putting mirror before starting your game.
Pro Path was created by PGA tour pros Richard Woodhouse and Grant Field. They wanted to help players to enjoy more golf and help you lower your score.
Pro Path Golf is made from plexiglass and aluminum. They designed it to refine your posture. This features a two-sided design so it can both cater to left-handed or right-handed golfers. The putting alignment helps you with the consistency of your swing. It has a mirror that represents a 15-degree natural arc.
Aside from helping you correct your posture, the alignment ensures you that your eye line is correctly over the golf ball. The mirror also allows you to see the position of your shoulders. This is very easy to use and can easily fit on your bag too.
- comes with 4 staggered putting gates
- provides real-time feedback
- ideal for all type of golf players
- portable and comes with a microfiber carry pouch
- eyes directly into the golf ball
- STOP 3 PUTTING: Tired of 3 putting? Would you like to lower your putts per round? Elevate your golf game with the Pro Path Golf Putting Mirror from Back 2 Basics Golf! This putting alignment mirror is designed to refine your posture and mechanics, and improve your accuracy and control. Plus, this kit comes with 4 staggered putting gates perfect for improving speed and alignment. This is the perfect pre-round warmup at the course. Dial in your speed and alignment and play better golf today.
- MAKE A BETTER STROKE: Designed by PGA pros Richard Woodhouse and Grant Field, used on tour by Cameron Smith, this putting arc training aid features a curved, patented mirror that represents a 15-degree natural arc, which provides real-time feedback for every stroke. Our putting alignment guide helps boost consistency in your swing and posture for control and accuracy.
- LOWER GOLF SCORE: Whether you’re a beginner, master, or golf enthusiast, our golf putting training aids feature a two-sided design that benefits both right-handed and left-handed golfers! That makes these golf alignment aids the perfect gift for your husband, dad, or brother so they can start knocking strokes off their game.
- PUTT ON-THE-GO: Complete with a high-quality, microfiber carrying pouch that will protect this portable golf swing mirror, you can practice your putts at home on your putting mat, at the office, or on the putting greens! Plus, this travel and storage bag can be used as a cleaning cloth, ensuring our durable golf putting trainer is always ready for the next swing.
- GOLF-TIME WARRANTY: At Back 2 Basics Golf, we are passionate about helping golfers of all skill levels master the techniques so they can enjoy an amazing game of golf. Our golf putting aid is designed for beginners and pros to enhance their skills, and if you aren’t satisfied with these golf putters for any reason, we offer a 100% refund guarantee.
The Putting Stick
Best Alignment Aid
In terms of golf putting aids, one of the best ones available is The Putting Stick. Used by many former and current PGA Tour Pros, The Putting Stick will not only aid in improving your putting stroke but also help with your putter head speed and the correct length for your back swing.
The Putting Stick is straightforward to use. You lay the stick on the ground, point towards your target, and place the golf ball on the target. From here, you putt it as you would normally.
The Putting Stick will tell you if your club face is not square at impact. There is also an alignment mirror located right behind the ball, and it will tell you if your eyes are aligned correctly over the ball or not. If your eyes aren’t lined up perfectly, the putt will not go where you think it will.
Another great thing about The Putting Stick is it will let you know if your backswing is too long. There is a little black stopper located behind your putter head. If your swing is too long, your putter head will hit the stop, and you will decelerate through impact, causing a mishit.
The best way to improve your putting is to reduce inconsistent contact. The Putting Stick fixes poor alignment and poor putts.
- Aids with the perfect speed
- Helps you perfectly line up your target path
- Provides feedback when your back swing is too long
- Used by many PGA Tour Pros
- GET THE PERFECT PUTT: Putting Stick Pro is a patented putt practice training aid developed to help golfers improve their putting stroke | Perfect for home and office putting practice indoor, outdoor on the green or backyard
- GOLF TRAINING AIDS: Great golf trainer for putting golf practice on the putting green outdoor or the putting green indoor
- GOLF GADGETS: Aids with putter speed, target path and eyeline tracking to the hole | Grip, line up and put that birdie shot in the hole
- PUTTING AID: The Putting Stick gives you feedback when your back-swing is too long and it will show your stroke accuracy at impact to within one degree of perfect squareness | You will also know if your stroke is causing the ball to decelerate
- USED ON PGA TOUR: Players currently using The Putting Stick: Sean O'Hair Bo Van Pelt John Kimball Andrew Johnson Scott Sterling Mark Anderson Brian Duncan Jonathan Hodge Skip Kendall…and more added every day! | Perfect golf gifts for men and women
Blast Motion Golf Putting Analyzer
Best AI Putting Analyzer
The Blast Golf Swing and Stroke Analyzer is one of the most premium putting aids available on the market today. It is not just made for putting, but for the interest of this article; that is what I will focus on the most.
You attach the Blast Motion sensor to the end of your putter and then swing as you normally would. The sensor is synced with an iOS/Android app you need to download on any smart device. Once synced, every single stroke will show up through the app, and you can analyze it from there. Blast Motion gives you instant visual feedback about your putting motion and swing.
The sensor will help show you the length of your backswing, timing, and more. It will also show you the angle of your face at impact and how to improve your putting tempo and putter speed. The nice thing is that you don’t even realize the sensor is attached, and every stroke will show on the app. This means you can see exactly what you are doing and make adjustments.
The only downside to the Blast Golf Analyzer is that it is pretty costly compared to other putting aids on the market. Some beginner golfers may not want to spend that much on a putting aid, but it depends on your goal and what you are willing to do to get better at golf.
- Analyzes every swing and provides instant feedback
- Records and clips video of each swing and stroke through the app
- Multiple drills available to use in the Training Centre
- Price is expensive
- MOST ACCURATE SWING AND STROKE ANALYZER (SENSOR) IN THE GAME – Use the industry’s most accurate swing and stroke analyzer (sensor) to improve your tempo, build a consistent swing, and make more putts
- SMART VIDEO CAPTURE – Record and automatically clip video of each swing and stroke; View and analyze in slow motion with metrics overlaid; Leverage the in-app Training Center for tips and drills from expert coaches and PGA Tour players
- AIR SWINGS – Blast Golf now also tracks your swing and stroke even when you're training without golf balls
- TECH MADE EASY – Attach the Blast swing and stroke analyzer (sensor) to the end of any club or putter; Blast's natural motion capture allows golfers to swing the club or roll putts and forget about the technology
- PACKAGE CONTAINS – Blast Golf swing and stroke analyzer (sensor), charger, and club/putter attachments
Golf Putting Arc MS-3D
Most golfers think of putting as a straight movement, but it’s really arcmore of an arc. That’s where the Golf Putting Arc MS-3D steps in and tries to help your work on the full putting arc, instead of just the pure focus on results.
I was very curious to test this unique product and it definitely worked in changing our attitude and improving our putting swing. Creating a pure arced stroke was possible as the putter head moves on a 3-dimensional arc.
This golf putting aid weighs 3.4 pounds and you can place it on top of the carpet or take it with you out to the green. It will help you bring your putting to the next level with constant practice, even just for 5 or 10 minutes a day.
- Innovative Approach
- comes with a mirror
- has holes so you can station it on the green
- Relatively expensive
- Putting is an arc, not straight back straight through
- 1200 professional wins,multiple wins in every professional major,
- Can use the heal or the toe of your own putter-any putter will work
- The Putting Arc will enable you to create a pure putting stroke in which the putter head moves on a three dimensional arc back while the face of the putter stays square to the putter path.
- For rapid and continued improvement use the Putting Arc MS-3D for 5-10 minutes every day.
EyeLine Golf Edge Mirror Training Aid
Another Putting Mirror
The Eyeline Golf Edge Mirror is an aid capable of doing more than just aligning shots. The Eyeline’s durable acrylic mirror is able to give you feedback on your entire body during putts. View your stroke mechanics and make adjustments on the fly.
When placed flat on the green, you are able to see your eyes, shoulders, arms, shaft, and putter head to see exactly how your posture and movements look when making putts. This angle and view allows you to see what mistakes you are making.
With the putter alignment lines on the mirror, you are able to square up your putter face with these lines, helping to give your putts more accuracy. And if you can’t make it to the golf course, no worries!
While durable in use, the Eyeline is may have issues when being transported, as the mirror has had some issues breaking while just being in the golf bag. Some people have also complained about the mirror being a little bit too small.
Golf mirrors are a great way to improve your game. The feedback you get by being able to see where you need improvement is detrimental. And as far as golf mirrors go, the Eyeline is one of the better options to consider.
- Helps to master the setup
- Understand full-body alignment
- Portable, light, and non-skid for indoor use
- Like all mirrors, it is fragile
- HOLES FOR TEES - Insert Tees at front for 'gate drill' or towards the back for back-swing control & This training aid is small and compact in size and comes with a soft carry bag.
- The Edge Putting Mirror gives you consistent & The putting trainer gives instant feedback each time you putt out helping to improve all aspects of your putting game
- Putter Alignment Lines - Make sure you are aimed at your target and that your putter face is square to that line.
- Built-in Gate Drills - Test how your stroke is performing, and make the quick adjustments.
- Extra Durable - Non-skid polyethylene base and uniquely engineered design pro-longs mirror life and adds strength.
Best for Short Putts
I have the 5 Footer Golf Training Aid and like the name suggests, this is a great aid for helping you sink more short putts. A lot of golfers work on their long game, but making all of your putts in the 5-foot range is key to lowering your score.
The 5 Footer has a long, U-Shaped bracket that can be used to guide your putt along, helping give you an accurate shot. When using the aid for shorter putts, you can wrap the curved end of the 5 Footer right around the hole itself, providing a guide that takes you directly to the hole.
One of the features of the 5 Footer is how easy it is to move. You can roll it up and transport it easily, without the need to secure it down every putt like the TIBA Putt bracket. It is also very flexible, allowing you to use the guide on various types of lies, such as putting uphill or from left to right.
You can use it on a real or a practice green. This golf putting aid is a must-have for those looking to improve their short putts.
- Grooves your stroke and hit the center of the cup every time
- Easy to move, roll up, and transport
- Easily adjustable for every type of putting lies
- Light weight and rolls up easily so it easily fits into your bag or suitcase
- Made of durable weatherproof vinyl
- Grooves your stroke and helps you hit the center of the cup every time
- Excellent for all ages. Perfect for men, women, beginners, experienced and children golfers
- Allows you to easily adjust for all putting lies (uphill, downhill, right to left, left to right)
Golf Putting Drills
Putting Mirror Drill
Equipment Used: Pro Path Golf Putting Mirror
Using the Pro Path Golf Putting Mirror is a great way to ensure that your eyes are lined up correctly over the putt and that your putter face is square to the golf ball at impact.
To do this drill:
- Lay the mirror on the ground, aimed toward your target.
- Line up to the ball as you would any other normal putt.
- Using the putting mirror, ensure that:
- The shoulders are square and parallel to the line
- Putter’s face is square to the line
- Eyes are lined up over the ball/line
- Take two tees and put them at the opening of where the ball comes out. This creates a gate and ensures the ball is heading on the correct line.
- Take two more tees and place them behind the mirror, making a gate for your putter to barely fit through. This ensures the putter head stays square the entire swing.
Putting Gate Drill
Equipment Used: Pro Path Golf Putting Mirror
This putting gate drill also utilizes the putting gates that come with the Pro Path Putting Mirror. There are four gates included, all different sizes.
These gates can be utilized in many different ways:
- Set up the four gates with the smallest one right near the hole and make a tunnel with them back to wherever you start putting.
- Line up your putts and hit them with an emphasis on trying to get through all of the gates without hitting them.
- This will help ensure that your lines are correct and you are hitting your putts square towards your target.
- You can also just set up one gate near the hole or where you think the putt breaks and try to hit the ball perfectly through the gate.
Putting Pace Drill
Equipment Used: PuttOut Pressure Putting Trainer
One of the best features about the PuttOut is that can help you hit the ball at the right pace and speed for your distance.
- Setup the PuttOut Pressure trainer and place your ball a short distance away.
- Hit your golf ball at the PuttOut, focusing on the right speed and distance.
- All successful putts are returned to you the same distance that you would have gone past the hole. This helps you understand how much swing speed you need for every putt you have to make.
Top Alignment Drill
Equipment Used: The Putting Stick
With The Putting Stick, you can make sure that you are aligned over top of the ball correctly.
- Put down the Putting Stick and place your golf ball in the assigned groove hole.
- Setup for your putt like you normally would.
- Look down at your golf ball and ensure that you sight is right over top of the Putting Stick and the guide lines.
A lot of beginner golfers don’t stand right over the ball. This skews your angle to the hole and increases the likelihood of a mis-hit!
What is the Best Golf Putting Aid?
The best golf putting aid for beginners is The Putting Stick. It is a simple aid, but does so much to improve your putting. It is also very inexpensive, so you aren’t spending much money to help improve one of the essential parts of your golf game.
With The Putting Stick, you know immediately if your putter head is not square at impact. If it is square, the golf ball rolls straight off the stick and not off to the side. It is also great to let you know if your backswing is too long because there is a black stopper to tell you so.
The stick also has alignment lines to help you know if you are standing over your ball properly. These are all key fundamentals that amateur golfers should know.
For Experienced Golfers
The best golf putting aid for professional golfers is the Pro Path Golf Putting Mirror, as it is very versatile and helps you stick to the basics. Even as an experienced golfer, your putting stroke must always stay consistent. Sometimes you find yourself not square at impact or not reading your lines correctly, and an alignment mirror will help you get back on track.
The putting mirror ensures that everything is square and you are on the correct line of your putt. It also shows you that your putter head is square at impact, and the ball should go exactly where you aim.
Putting is not very complex, but you must ensure you are consistent with it,. That is how you can make up the most strokes during your golf round.
What Putting Aids Do PGA Tour Pros Use?
Most PGA Tour Pros use some kind of putting aid when practicing.
Cameron Smith recently had a breakout year on the PGA Tour and has been one golfer to advertise using the Pro Path Golf Putting Mirror. Jordan Spieth uses the PuttOUT Putting Mirror Trainer. Putting mirrors are one of the best putting aids you can use because they are so simple to use, but they do so much for your game.
Dustin Johnson is a big user of the True Pendulum Motion. These two alignment sticks go under your armpits and are connected in front of you on the putter shaft. This helps you stay square through your entire putting stroke and ensures a nice pendulum motion.
It goes to show that even professionals need putting aids to help keep them in tip-top shape.
How Can You Improve Your Putting in Golf?
- Ensure you are comfortable with your putter and the grip on it. If the club itself doesn’t feel right, neither will the putting.
- Set up on the ball and make sure your body is correctly aligned. Alignment is a huge part of putting because if you are not aligned correctly, the ball will not go where you intend.
- Pick a putting grip and stick with it. There are many different variations of grips, such as standard, cross-handed, claw, pistol, arm-lock, etc. You want to make sure you stick with one to practice with it. Changing your grip too many times will throw off your entire putting game.
- Visualize precisely where you want the putt to go.
- Practice, Practice, Practice. Putting is about hitting the ball square, judging the correct distance, and reading the right lines. It takes a lot of time and practice, so head out to a putting green and hit hundreds of putts.
Last update on 2022-11-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API