Practice makes perfect, and the best way to practice your golf game at home is with a golf net. But not all golf nets are created equal. Some are cheap and flimsy; some are expensive and professional-grade.
As a casual player, you are probably looking for something in between - strong enough to allow you to practice like the pros, but cheap enough so you have some money left over for your tee time.
This is our review of the RUKKNET Pop-Up Golf Net. If you are considering this golf net or a similar one, you’re going to want to read this all the way through before you hit the buy button
The concept of a golf net needs no introduction. You stand in front of it, square up, and hit. But the specific features of a golf net may be unfamiliar to you - though most golf nets look the same, there is a big difference in quality of make and how they perform.
When you think of a golf net, you probably think of something big and bulky that requires the use of stakes and a hammer.
With the RUKKNET, you simply unfold the unit and place it wherever you’d like.
The unit stays stationary, even without the use of stakes, and to get it out of sight, all you do is re-fold the structure and store it away conveniently.
You can transport the RUKKNET with ease, or, if you use it at home, you can put it away after you hit so that it’s not an eyesore on your lawn.
The RUKKNET Pop-Up Net also features…
- TOUGH knotless 4-ply netting. This type of netting is unbelievably strong. You will notice very little wear and tear, even if you’re blasting the net with your driver multiple times per week. Most similarly-priced golf nets do not boast the quality of netting that the RUKKNET does.
- Two netting barriers. To guarantee your balls are stopped, there is not one, but two strong barriers working for you. And, they’re easily replaceable - if you hit a lot and gradually wear them down, you don’t need to buy a new golf net. You just replace one or both of the barriers in seconds. And the replacement nets from RUKKNET are cheap, rest assured.
- A ball return (yes, really). The RUKKNET stands out with its ball return feature. No matter how much or how little power you use in your swing, the ball will gently roll back to wherever you are standing. This feature allows you to use just one golf ball for practicing. Or if, you use multiple (as most do), you’ll still save time and reduce back strain - which cannot be underestimated.
Overall, a “popup” net with all these features combined would usually drive the price into the $200 - $300 range. But Rukket is known for offering fantastic prices (considering the quality of their products) - as such, the original pop-up golf net is sold for a very reasonable price. It’s a steal.
- 7’ is the perfect height. It’s tall enough to catch bad shots, but small enough to be manageable.
- Setup & takedown is quick. Out of the box, you can have your RUKKNET up within seconds - just unfold it. It’s the same for storage - just fold it down and it becomes 1/10th of the size.
- It has won awards. The RUKKNET Pop-Up Net was voted “Top New Release” by Golf Digest in 2013 (the year it was made available to the public). That’s unheard of for a golf net!
- Comes with a strong guarantee. Every golfer is different - you can use the RUKKNET for 30 days and see if you like it or not. If you don’t for some reason, just fold it down, pop it into the box, and send it back for a full no-questions-asked refund.
What Customers Think
Look at the 4* and 5* reviews and you’ll see confirmation of our praise - customers say that it’s sturdy, and that the design is perfect for quick, convenient practice. (They also love the popup function - many say they ultimately decided on the RUKKNET because of this feature alone.)
However, if you look at the “Recommended Reviews” on the product page, you’ll see that they’re a little chaotic. Though most found the product to be flawless (hence the 4.5 star rating overall), some had problems with shipping and setup (hence the 1-, 2-, and 3-star reviews).
To avoid these common problems with the RUKKNET Pop-Up Net, take the following precautions:
1. Order from Amazon. Some reviewers bought from third parties who didn’t put the necessary effort into proper shipment - the net arrived damaged. Buy from Amazon and this is not a problem.
2. Be careful with setup. Don’t throw it around in your basement before you set it up! Once the RUKKNET is set up, it can take a beating, but if you are too rough with it when it’s folded, the frame may warp. Be careful with it and you won’t have a problem.
Conclusion: The Right Golf Net For You?
Overall, the RUKKNET is not the cheapest golf net, nor is it a golf net made solely for professionals. Rather, it’s right in the middle - professional enough so the casual golfer has everything he or she could possibly want, but still affordable enough to be viable for a hobbyist.
If that sounds like what you need - outstanding quality at a good price - then the RUKKNET will be a good fit for you.
It’s strong and sturdy, it has a ball return, and setup and takedown is a breeze. We can’t think of anything else a casual golfer would want in a golf net.
And remember, even if you get it and decide that it’s not a good fit, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund. Just remember to test it out shortly after you receive the box in the mail.
Click here to visit the Amazon page to check the cheapest price and read every single customer review (we can only cover so much in ours).
As we mentioned, to avoid shipping problems, if you decide to get the RUKKNET, you should place your order through that link, too.
Good luck and happy hitting!